Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kjfarr

Please help! Apartment for a couple <HK$30k?

Please help! Apartment for a couple <HK$30k?

My fiance and I are planning for our move out to Hong Kong in the next month. We'd like to live in either the Mid-levels or in the Sheung Wan/Soho area. We would like at least 2 bedrooms with a modern bathroom and kitchen. We also have a small dog so a pet-friendly apartment is a must. I've searched GoHome and several other apartment listings and really like Palatial Crest and Cherry Crest. Would these be realistically in our budget? How much negotiation room do we have? And relatedly, how is the current rental market in HK? Does anyone have any other recommendations on apartments in the area?

Thanks so much for your help, the people and information on this forum have been great!

Hi there

You should be able to find something suitable well within your budget, however I find that generally the property websites aren't too helpful here (usually the places you see are already gone by the time you call) and the best way to find a place is to go and see the agents in your area of interest.

To give you a feel for prices, we live in a 700 sq ft, 1 bed nicely renovated place with a large private rooftop (internal staircase), 5 mins from Sheung Wan MTR and the Macau ferry and it costs us $13k. It's in an older Chinese building without a fancy lobby, but has a lift unlike many we saw in our budget. If you're willing to look at walk-ups (extra exercise for your dog!) you can get even more for your money in terms of space and ceiling heights, and probably a bit more likely to get outside space if that's a priority. There's also plenty of newer developments in the area with clubhouse facilities, etc.

All the areas you mentioned have loads of agents - go for a wander round when you arrive. I'd recommend staying in a serviced place for at least the first few weeks unless you know HK well, just to get a feel for the different areas.

I love living in Sheung Wan - can't recommend it enough!

Good luck!

ABC2HK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC2HK
    My fiance and I are planning for our move out to Hong Kong in the next month. We'd like to live in either the Mid-levels or in the Sheung Wan/Soho area. We would like at least 2 bedrooms with a modern bathroom and kitchen. We also have a small dog so a pet-friendly apartment is a must. I've searched GoHome and several other apartment listings and really like Palatial Crest and Cherry Crest. Would these be realistically in our budget? How much negotiation room do we have? And relatedly, how is the current rental market in HK? Does anyone have any other recommendations on apartments in the area?

Thanks so much for your help, the people and information on this forum have been great!
    Yes it is reasonable you should be able to get something 1000 sq ft and up.

Negotiation room is slim in todays market, rental prices are getting higher and there is alot of demand for rental properties.

Reason being is high market price, alot of owners sold their flats and are renting now sitting on that bucket of cash.
    Multinationals are coming back to Hong Kong with alot of housing allowances(you might be one).
    Growth in Hong Kong/China is bringing in talent all over the world lookin for jobs (compared to America 10% unemployment).