Like Tree6Likes

Park Island (Ma Wan)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similarly you should check out DB. Not everyone enjoys sharing the ferry with the international school kids, or the plaza for that matter. Depends if you want to be living with a bunch of expats or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars
    If you like living in a giant resort-type development devoid of any local character, then maybe Park Island is for you. TBH, you wouldn't even know you're in HK. It's like a little cocoon of exclusivity. Alternatively you could try DB.
    Another example of someone who doesn't know what he is talking about and goes posting on the forum. "Devoid of any local character" ???
    Ma Wan has one of the oldest temple on HK, it has an old fishing village that was there before your great great grand parents were born...and it has some vestige from the original village dated 3000 BC. Park Island is the name of the development, but it is situated on Ma Wan which is one of the oldest part of HK. The old village is still there. The former Customs house from 1899 is still standing too. There is a newer fishing village now with a few shops and local restaurants. Park Island happens to be very local. About 92% of the people are locals. Local food, local shops, local restaurants...

"cocoon of exclusivity" ? I am not sure what you're on about. I think Mid Levels or DB is a lot more like that than Park Island thats for sure.

I was referring to Park Island of course not Ma Wan, Mr Angry.

And just for the record when I mentioned DB I meant DB and not Lantau Island.

The big difference here is that Park Island is built on Ma Wan...and the whole island is under 1 square kilometer. (0.97 km2) Therefore EVERYTHING about Park Island is as local as it can get. You don't have a big distinction between Ma Wan and PI. Everything is VERY cultural and traditional HK. Just like on other small islands like Cheung Chau etc... I am actually arguing that life on Ma Wan / PI is even more traditional than life in Kowloon or HK Island. A lot less foreigners + a fishing village and its population that was there since 3000 BC and still celebrates some traditional festivals that the rest of HK doesn't. There is only local shops and local food on the island. Not a single 'expat' style place.
    However DB is built on Lantau as you said...but Lantau happens to be the largest Island in HK (about 150 km2 if i remember well) DB is the small cocoon that is devoid of local character.
    For the record, I am not angry, but I just find it boring to have people talking about a topic they don't have a clue about.

*deleted reply*

Last edited by mrdollars; 07-07-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: must... resist.. temptation... to reply

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger
    The big difference here is that Park Island is built on Ma Wan...and the whole island is under 1 square kilometer. (0.97 km2) Therefore EVERYTHING about Park Island is as local as it can get.
    Bovine excrement! But dont take my word for it, dont take anyone's word for it. Its so small, its easy to go visit it and make up your own mind whether it has any local character as njaeger claims or if its just a DB-in-disguise, full of concrete and sanatized beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Bovine excrement! But dont take my word for it, dont take anyone's word for it. Its so small, its easy to go visit it and make up your own mind whether it has any local character as njaeger claims or if its just a DB-in-disguise, full of concrete and sanatized beyond belief.
    another person that has no clue of the topic. i think you just wanted one more 'post' to increase your stats?

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger
    another person that has no clue of the topic. i think you just wanted one more 'post' to increase your stats?
    Randy, is that you? We missed you man - welcome back. How are your investments doing?

I was so worried that we didnt have a PI champion among us - thank heavens you are back to defend the virtues of the land known as PI - without you, all the naysayers would just trash the place with their negativity.

My post count is just fine, thank you for your concern and my opinion of Mawan and PI come from visiting it too many times. Its fine for some, some love the place; me, I loathe it. I wouldnt move there if it was 1/2 my rent. Wait, come to think of it, it *is* 1/2 my rent but no thank you, I'll stick to my current place and leave the lovely PI to others.

Dont be a stranger Randy - come and visit us more often lest we forget the virtues of PI. Its nice having it drilled into our heads day after day, hour after hour...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Randy, is that you? We missed you man - welcome back. How are your investments doing?

I was so worried that we didnt have a PI champion among us - thank heavens you are back to defend the virtues of the land known as PI - without you, all the naysayers would just trash the place with their negativity.

My post count is just fine, thank you for your concern and my opinion of Mawan and PI come from visiting it too many times. Its fine for some, some love the place; me, I loathe it. I wouldnt move there if it was 1/2 my rent. Wait, come to think of it, it *is* 1/2 my rent but no thank you, I'll stick to my current place and leave the lovely PI to others.

Dont be a stranger Randy - come and visit us more often lest we forget the virtues of PI. Its nice having it drilled into our heads day after day, hour after hour...
    No idea what you're on about. I said straight up that PI isn't something for everyone and I advised the OP to avoid the place if he didnt have kids or if he was just with his gf. The more detailed answer I gave was about FACTS when someone else jumped in (and later retracted himself) regarding the cultural aspect and the cocoon like aspect of the island. which was wrong. It's just weird than when someone asks a question about Park Island (or about anything actually), most people on this forum (especially the one with a high number of posts like you) would not try and help and answer the question but try to convince the OP that they are wrong. We know that your life is great, we know that you have more money than the rest of us, we know that you have better tastes, you make better decisions and that you know everything about HK. You are a god like person really. I kneel down before you! You are always right!
    One piece of advice though. Maybe try and be a little helpful to the OP? And if you don't really know about the topic maybe you should stay quiet? Looking at your posts it will be quite difficult for you as you seem to be a geek hiding behind the computer all day inventing yourself a better life. good luck to you Howardcoombes. I would expect an answer very soon from you I imagine.
    TheBrit and BruceHadley like this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast