Like Tree6Likes

Park Island (Ma Wan)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question Park Island (Ma Wan)

Thinking about buying an appartment in Park Island. Anyone have any ideas on the living environment and the commute to central? Are there many expats living there? How is security on the island? Also are unblocked sea-view flats at approx HK$4000-4500/sq ft, are a good deal? Any thoughts?

Park Island

I own a flat in Park Island, which I consider near-perfect. While I am now overseas (so the flat being available for rent), I intend to take it up for self-occupation later on. It is an ideal place for young couples, retirees and expats in particular (unless you got used to crowded city dwelling)

Environment is excellent, with lots of open space, tidy landscape, greenery and sea view to many apartments. It is particularly suitable for those who love the nature, green and clean surroundings and those who have young kids or pets. Indeed, one may enjoy resort lifestyle in the suburban environment.

Security is very strict. Residents have to use a smart card or code No. to enter the lift looby. Vehicles may not enter the estate except the designated shuttle bus for transfer to 2 nearby MTR stations. (maybe a small drawback for those who drive)

Residents may enjoy full club facilities -- there are 2 club-houses (blue and green). Charges are very low and facilities are very comprehensive, from all-weather swimming pool to even a bowling hall.

The set-up of Park Island is somewhat similar to expat-popular Discovery Bay, but I find Park Island more self-subsisting and forward looking (with a nearby shopping mall and theme park to be built). Transport to Central is by 24-hour ferry, which takes 25 minutes at $11 per trip. The pier is just opposite IFC. Ferry service also extends to Tsuen Wan next to west rail station.

Selling prices vary greatly as well as rentals.

Enjoy life!

Have you lived in Discovery Bay as I would like to know how you compare the two from a resident's perspective.

Thanks wong. Appreciate your comments. I agree with your comments but am concerned that 2 clubhouses may not be able to cater to the demand of more than 6500 appartments since now there is a phase 5 and 6. Anyone know how difficult it is to book the facilities or if it gets very crowded? Also how much do we have to pay for book courts, go swimming, etc? Charges for guests? Secondly, with the market price just about doubled since it's launch in 2002, is the property price downside larger than the upside?

Park Island Facilities

Shalsd, I just checked the management website. Gym is HK$10 per entry. Swimming pool is HK$10 per session (3 sessions daily). Tennis court is $30 or $50 per hr. Dancing room $40 / hr. Piano room $20 / 30 min. Reading room, the only place I have stayed, is f.o.c. Sauna, plunge pool, baby room are f.o.c. Same fees for residents and guests.

Each resident card holder may bring up to 3 guests, who have to pay a refundable admission fee.

There are regular events being held, e.g. cooking sessions, health talks etc.

Your concerns about over-booking may be right, but given the wide variety, there must be something available for every one. I pretended to book the tennis court on-line and found 50% available over this week.

Thanks again Wong for your feedback, appreciate that. I have also been looking at the possible developments for the rest of the island and is it true that there is a possibility of a theme park and other tourist attractions?

Park Island

I got the information from a news clip given to me by the property agent when I bought the flat. There will be 3 theme attractions by end 06, viz. Noah (from the Bible) musieum / camp, 6 flower parks, (eg. orchid), and the Sun Hall with solar telescopes. These are good for children in particular, together with the open space in the estate.

Thanks Wong, just one last thing, know anything about whether they will open up the island to public transport such as taxis? Or whether more ferry/bus routes will be added such as to TST or other destinatations?

Park Island transportation

Shalsd, I also have the same query. The property agent told me that taxi test run to PI had been conducted, and the govt would most likely give due approval. I verified this by checking the committee meeting minutes which confirmed that application had been submitted. The agent said that a proposed bus route to KCR station was turned down, as it was easy to make a transfer at Kowloon Tong MTR station. Goods vehicles can enter PI from 10 am to 4 pm or else a permit is req'd.

I also heard that there are irregular village buses running. I am aware that in emergency, the management office can provide in-house transport, (ambulance etc.). A proposed car park building is said to be built outside PI Estate. Can anyone from PI confirm all these?

PI takes on an environmental / park-and-ride concept. This is perhaps a small trade off.

Thanks Wong, did the agent tell u about the taxi when u bought the property a few years ago or is this more recent news. If it's from a few years ago, well since approval hasn't been granted in some 4 years, seems unlikely that it's going to happen now. What do u think? In your opinion, is there anything else you think i need to know about park island before i decide on whether to buy/rent there?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast