Like Tree1Likes

Screwed by my Landlord

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Screwed by my Landlord

I've got a bit of a problem here.

I agreed by email with my landlord to rent a 200sq. ft room for 6000hkd per month. When I moved in the room looked very small, but I was very jet lagged and haven't rented an apt before so I didn't know how to guesstimate room size.

I just measured the room and it's more like 100 sq. ft!

I've already signed my contract for a minimum one month of stay. The contract I signed doesn't mention room size, but I do have our agreement in writing over email. Do I have any recourse against my landlord? I've never been screwed like this before.

Thank you so much for your help.

For one month it's hardly a big deal - live and learn.

And gross sizes here can be a lot bigger than net.

I know it's not a big hit financially, but it still stings.

I can understand landlords being generous in room size approximations, but this is just ridiculous.

By the way, the place is StudioStudio.

Its always a problem when you rent stuff sight unseen. I think you should use that as a base for now and find something more suited so you can move out next month.

most landlord in hk present gross area instaed of actual area,
    the gross area includes common space in the building,
    usually the actual area is around 60 to 70% of the gross area

That's certainly the plan.

Do landlords have any sense of decency? Am I likely to get anything out of bringing this up with her?

I would have figured that "you won't get 2 more months of rent out of me unless you let me stay in a bigger room" would have at least some pull.

Last edited by XiaoJieFu; 30-05-2010 at 11:26 PM.

The landlord is now screwing you. They are following what is pretty much normal policy in Hong Kong, which is to quote you gross floorspace, which may very well be 200sq feet.

Why are you measuring the place anyways? You seen the place (jetlagged or not) and you signed a contract. It is what it is. Enjoy it.

I would agree with the above.Be thankful for this learning experience and that tou werent signed up for 12 months. Where are you from btw? Sounds like landlords there are all decent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

The landlord is now screwing you. They are following what is pretty much normal policy in Hong Kong, which is to quote you gross floorspace, which may very well be 200sq feet.
    Did you mean "not" screwing you? it seems from your writing that you don't think so.

So is gross then the room plus the roofspace divided by the number of rooms? I'm a bit unclear on this concept.

I'm from Canada. I know this whole ordeal is simply due to my naivete, but nevertheless I expect more from people.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    I would agree with the above.Be thankful for this learning experience and that you werent signed up for 12 months. Where are you from btw? Sounds like landlords there are all decent.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast