Like Tree2Likes

Advice on where to live in Islands, NT

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lamma is a bit of a dump to be honest. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. The accommodation standard looks poor and there are not too many things to do.

It's packed by tourists on the weekend and you can't move along any of the streets. There are plenty of places in Hong Kong where you can eat nice seafood too. The commute from Lamma to Kowloon would be horrific - well over an hour every day even if you time the boat ride correctly. You have a deeply unpleasant 10 minute walk in the heat from Ferry Pier 4 in Central to the station too.

Assuming you're not going to go to beaches in the mornings or evenings, I would say it is better to head there on the weekend to enjoy the beach and take the journey when you need to - rather than every day. Also, you can eat good seafood throughout Hong Kong - you don't need to live on Lamma island.

Come and have a look by all means, but I wouldn't set your heart on living there before you see it with your own eyes.

Commute wise - I don't know what time you would need to start? Maybe need to be at the school by 8:30am?

Looking at the timetable here

http://www.hkkf.com.hk/index.php?op=...w=pdf&style=en

I figure you need to be on the 7:00am ferry. 30 minutes to Central, 15-20 minutes to disembark, walk to Central MTR and wait for the next train, 12 minutes to Mongkok then a 15 minute walk to Perth Street (approx, judged by Google Maps). You'll arrive a sweaty mess in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    I figure you need to be on the 7:00am ferry. 30 minutes to Central, 15-20 minutes to disembark, walk to Central MTR and wait for the next train, 12 minutes to Mongkok then a 15 minute walk to Perth Street (approx, judged by Google Maps). You'll arrive a sweaty mess in summer.
    Also, factor in the walk from your flat to the ferry pier on Lamma. And remember, no transport on Lamma so when it's raining or hot you're getting very wet and very sweaty.

I'm like Geoff on this one - I wouldn't live on Lamma if you paid me, but, I have quite a few friends who live there and love it. I've also had quite a few friends who've tried living there and left as soon as they could. It's a bit like marmite.

In answer to your questions, your accommodation allowance will get you a decent place on Lamma and yes there is a very large ex-pat community over there and a good social scene (albeit in fairly basic bars that don't seem capable of making a good G&T...). Yep, you can get a sampan back from Aberdeen if you miss the last ferry...have only done it the other way tho and can't remember how much it cost...sorry.

Once here, spend some time there, do the ferry trip a few times, at the time of day you would be doing it for work and stuff, and see how it feels. Don't rush into taking on a flat there tho until you're sure you're happy with the ferries - I'd say that's often the big turn off for people thinking about living Lamma.

Sai Kung

Hi, we've been looking for a house in Sai Kung. There is one you may like. 3bedrooms with roof top and balcony facing seaview. Nice and clean decoration. Green minibus right outside your house taking you to sai kung town in 5-10 mins. Rent is HK$10k inclusive. Let me know if you're interested and I can send u my agent's details.

I also agree that it would be absolutely horribly. But if you are set on living on Lamma, I would take a bus route rather than MTR. For example:

- Ferry from Lamma to Central pier 4
    - Walk to Central pier 7
    - Star Ferry from Pier 7 to Kowloon Star Ferry Pier
    - KMB Bus 9 from Kowloon Star Ferry to Kowloon Hospital

Kowloon hospital is right next to Perth Street. So KMB9 will basically drop you off at your destination.

That sounds like a better plan bdw - I doubt is it much quicker - probably longer in fact - but cutting out the 15 minute walk from Mongkok to Perth Street will make it more pleasant in summer. Two ferries and a bus isn't a fun commute twice a day!

Make the most of it while it lasts though - the bus terminus at TST Star Ferry is going to be relocated in the not too distant future, reducing the Star Ferry to a tourist attraction rather than an integral part of the public transport system..

The relocation of the Star Ferry terminal has already significantly diminished it's attractiveness to most people anyway - when it was outside City Hall I used it but it's too far away now.

I wouldn't live in Lamma and commute to Kowloon.

Live more in Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay -- it will be much easier and faster.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've been very busy on the net looking at all the places, and have short listed areas to look at when I arrive. I'm getting very excited about the move now!!