Like Tree2Likes

Advice on where to live in Islands, NT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Metea:
    Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your replies. I will be working in an ESF school so my salary is fairly decent. I get £8050 accommodation budget, which I know won't get me much. I'd be happy to add a bit extra but not too much - up to 11k
    is that 8-11k pounds or hk dollar?? i don't think you would be looking at lamma with a 8k pounds budget...

Pretty sure it is HKD, not GBP. I would be looking at a career change otherwise

I think it could be pounds, but annually.

you don't seem to mind the commute, metea, so have you considered mui wo, pui o or cheung sha all along the south side of lantau island? you can get a village house there at a very good rate. when the ferry at mui wo (same cons as the lamma ferry, mind) isn't operating you can still take a green bus to tung chung mtr station (about 35 mins from mui wo and another 35 to east tst). the beaches are pretty good, but the social scene probably isn't what you're looking for unless you lived in mui wo, where neighbours really do know and greet each other as they pass by on their bikes!

we intend buying a village house out that way in the next two years (we live in tung chung, which is decent but has high rises and airport air). for you, i would think sai kung has similar $ deals, a beach, a good social scene and a much shorter commute to kowloon (direct express buses to mong kok).

the 2 week serviced apt idea is very good advice.

Ha ha. Can't believe I used a £ sign - oops. No its 8050 HK dollars per month.

Thanks for the additional threads. I have considered South Lantau as the rentals are so cheap and looks a beautiful area, but I don't want to be too isolated socially so am thinking more lamma, Sai Kung, Clearwater bay for other expats etc in the same situation as me.

I have heard good things about the social life on Lamma but not much about CWB or Sai Kung - is there a community feel in these areas as well, lively beach bars etc?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3