UK to HK in Sept - What do you think of my plan?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah, I know.... but I have mixed motives for coming over to HK.

I'm only going to be there a year as my training contract in the UK starts in Sept 2011.

My firm has an international practice element to it so I'm looking to get some overseas experience so I can be the top of my game whilst doing my TC as I'm looking to be retained by the firm. Getting overseas practice would be ideal.

Also, I want to do some travelling - HK is the best gateway in Asia to do that. I'm not going to have the opportunity to travel for a while after I start my training contract so I also want to broaden my horizons.

And I am fluent in cantonese, putonghua and english - all written and spoken. HK is the best place to give these skills a go.

I'm happy to be a paralegal for a while and I'm happy to be taking a pay cut. I'm fortunate enough to have some savings put by for this year out. I'm basically in it for the experience - work, travel, culture etc.

Now, turning back to my questions - what's the paralegal market like in HK? Would any firm sponsor a paralegal's work visa? Is it better to go direct or through recruitment agencies like Michael Page?

Also, with serviced apartments - is it better to search when I'm over there or is it perfectly safe to book into a serviced apartment when I'm in the uk? I'm worried about getting conned you see....

Thanks for all your help you guys

Last edited by peach_ blossom; 10-06-2010 at 04:17 AM.

On the serviced apartment front there are other threads here mentioning reputable operators, deal with them directly and avoid craigslist. Generally if it is too good to be true, it is.

It is a good idea to try your firm first. if pay isn't an issue, try an NGO or a volunteer legal clinic if they can sponsor a visa.

Weren't you asking similar questions here? http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread65927.html

Yeah, but I'm getting more answers over here - need as much advice as I can get!