Like Tree4Likes

Advice on average living costs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advice on average living costs

Hi there,

Trying to do some further "research" onto my whole should i or shouldn't i move to HK and i would like your thoughts on general living costs in HK.

I guess i would like a general idea of monthly living costs, in case i fail to get a job while there. Here's my scenario - assuming i have a valid hkid card, i am thinking of leaving UK and try living in HK for a year (single, no children). While there i plan to look for a job. It is most likely i will be able to stay in one of my relatives house (in Tai Po, NT) therefore no rent to pay.

What sort of other monthly costs do i need to look at and how much in terms of budgeting?

1. Food? - don't drink booze (not much) or smoke, maybe say eat out half the week
    2. Travel? - how much is a monthly travelcard from Tai Po to Central in HK Island? Cheaper pre-pay? Lets say i'll be travelling/commuting daily...
    3. Bills, for electricity and water? - forget about sharing the bills for now, what is a general average people pay?
    4. How much is monthly internet? Alternatively, are there a lot of free wifi hotspots in HK?

These are just the basics but anything else i should think about?

Cheers,

1) how long is a ball of string? it COMPLETELY depends on your standards, preferences and budget.

2) there is no such thing as a monthly travel card. there IS an "octopus" card, but it is more like a debit card. you add value and can use it up until that value is gone, then you add more value.

3) depends on how big your place is, how many people are home & how often throughout the day, how many air-cons you run etc.
    our electric bills amount to $1500-4000/month depending on time of year. BUT, we have a large house and during the summer, at least one air-con is on 24/7, usually 2 or 3...our last water bill was $2000 but they come quarterly. we use a lot of water because we have a lot of dogs and we clean our tiled garden 3-4 times/day, ground floor of our house is also cleaned that frequently. we also have 4 adults & two kids showering at least once per day. i would say that our bills are WELL ABOVE average, though, so you can budget a lot less than that.

4) i think ours is $175/month, but hubby pays it, so i can't really remember... sorry.

Food varies considerably, but if you're living with your relatives I'm sure they'll show you lots of cheap local places. It gets more expensive if you want to eat western food.

Our electricity in a 2 bed flat, for 2 people, is about $300 per month in the summer. We're both out at work all day, so probably run one air con unit at a time for about 10 hours on average, maybe a bit longer on weekends.

My mobile bill is about $150 per month for a blackberry, with 800 mins per month local calls and data that is more than enough for all my work emails (i don't open attachments on it) and BB messenger, no internet.

I think our broadband is also about $175 per month, this also includes the free tv channels and 3 premium channels that were thrown into the package.

Where are you moving from? I can tell you that the overall cost of living here is certainly cheaper than London and Manchester in the UK, even when you factor in the rent that's a bit higher than London.

Yeah, currently in living and working in London - so use to the high prices!

In fact, i'm using my London living costs as a comparison. I do imagine food would be cheaper though (and nicer to eat!). I would like to think travel/commute would be cheaper - but then, Tai Po to (say) Central is quite far away. If there is no such thing as a weekly/monthly travelcard, then does anyone have an idea how much on pre-pay/pay as you go this single trip would cost (i'm guessing by train and tube/metro)?

The last time i was in HK (long time ago), i seem to remember that if you had say 10 cents left in your octopus card, you can use this for a full single journey (any length) even if the journey cost more than that - is this still the case?!

Cheers,

MTR > Journey Planner

Tai Po Market to Central is 14.9 HKD.

You can use your Octopus to a negative balance but you will just be required to make up the balance on the next top up (so if you have -$10 on it and you top up with $100 the resultant balance will be $90) so there is no benefit to you from this.

i thinks she means a monthly east rail pass at HK$390, unlimited travel on the east rail line from sheung shui to east tst.

eating in tai po is very cheap, most local places cost around HK$35 - HK$50 for a meal

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i thinks she means a monthly east rail pass at HK$390, unlimited travel on the east rail line from sheung shui to east tst.
    East Rail finishes at Hung Hom, so East TST is on the West Rail line (only).
    Last edited by PDLM; 21-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Really? East Rail finishes at Hung Hom, so East TST is on the West Rail line (only).
    mate, you should lighten up esp with your plastered up balls from your hiking trip a few months ago, considering your forum nick name stands for 'People Don't Like Me". i gather you have a pretty solitary and lonely life.

yes, it's now called the sheung shui to east tsim sha tsui pass, formally known as east rail pass before the merger.
    bryant.english likes this.

Then you gather wrong. But I have a strange preference for information to be correct.

(And I've no idea what the "plastered up balls" comment means, or which hiking trip it refers to - I do several every week with between 1 and 25 other friends each time.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast