Like Tree3Likes

School waiting lists - how long?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I was also in this difficult situation a year ago. All the ESF schools would not even accept my application because I did not live in their 'catchment area'. I had to move to the area first before I could even apply. But my argument was that I will not move to the area if you dont have a place for my kid. I will move to whichever school offers the place.

In the end I was tired of going round in circles with these ESF knuckleheads and I enrolled in AISHK (Australian school). Being Australian put me at the top of the waiting list, but even then I still had to wait about 6 months to get a spot.

Last edited by bdw; 15-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks guys! If it's that bad it makes you wonder why they don't open a few more schools eh? I'm not sure we're in a position for the company to buy us a place - that happens in Singpaore for some "lucky" individuals though I'm not sure I entirely agree with the principal, even if we are stuck for a place KWIM? We'll have a chat with the HR dept and see what they suggest. Not a done deal yet

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    why they don't open a few more schools
    I don't quite know who "they" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I don't quite know who "they" are.
    Obviously I meant the owners of the schools...!

I guess it is just the 4-7yo bracket that is really the hardest. I think for kindergartens and older kids, its not too bad getting a place.

kindergarten is JUST as oversubscribed as P1... but it does seem that the younger kids have a much more difficult time getting a school space.

rarmour likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Thanks guys! If it's that bad it makes you wonder why they don't open a few more schools eh?
    As far as I'm aware, there is no shortage of schools in Hong Kong.

The problem (as I see it) is that many parents (usually but not always expats), thru personal choice restrict themselves to or from certain type and class of schools which causes all the anxiety.

And all for what? Trying to get a 4-7 year old child, to whom it wont make any difference at all 10 years time.

Parents have all kinds of reasons and these reasons are I'm sure valid for them but in the end, does it really make much difference at all. Reasons I have heard:
    - wont consider (or must go to) xxxx because of religion
    - wont consider (or must go to) yyyy because it offers zzz curriculum
    - must be international / must be IB / no local schools
    - dont like the teaching method / too academic / too much rota
    etc

If you are stuck, broaden your horizons. Look at different schools, look at local schools. We live in a city of almost 7million people with kids to match. They are all getting educated and growing up. There is no reason why *any* child starting out should not be able to find a spot at a school.

I do realise that it will be more difficult for older kids coming from a particular country (its what they are used to) but for younger ones flexibility wont hurt them at all.

HC

Some UK trained primary teachers are available as private tutors at Primary level:

Suzanne Davies - HKUST campus
    e: [email protected]
    m: 92396295
    t: 2777 2760

rarmour

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Obviously I meant the owners of the schools...!
    Local parents who can afford private schools are moving their children into the private ones - some of the undersubscribed local government schools are closing years. So the limited private school places are seeing an increasing demand for them. Yes, some new schools will open but these things take time.

Guidelines and Procedures for Establishing a New Private Independent School (PIS)

With all the messes the HK Govn't did with their ill fate ed reform, no wonder why a lot of local parents opt to International school rather than putting their children as guinea pigs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast