I have appreciated the wealth of information found on the Geo Expat website. As this is my first post and I am asking the well known best place to live question I will try and add further details to make the post pertinent.
We will be arriving in July 2010 from Canada.
- Budget for Housing: $9,500 HKD per month
- Total Budget: $45,000 HKD per month
- Family details: I am an American Born Chinese and my wife is Caucasian. I can understand some Cantonese and speak even less. We have a five year old daughter (March 2005) and a four month old son (Feb 2010)
- Schooling: We are leaning towards local schooling. My daughter will attend K3 in September.
- I will be working from home so transportation distance to work is not an issue. I may need to travel to Chinese University in Tai Po for the first couple of years.
- We need to achieve fluency in Cantonese. We are looking to live in Hong Kong long term.
- One of our concerns is air quality so that will also play a role in where we locate.
- With our young children we wont be participating in the night life
- We are considering Sha Tin district and Lamma Island. I know that Sha Tin would be much closer to the Kowloon area but Lamma Island and the beach and living conditions are plusses.
- We are thinking of a roof top village house with 3 bedrooms. We are okay with being somewhat remote although we will not have a car.
- I would like to be under an hour to Jordan Station/Kings Park and Kowloon Bay/Mega Box via KMB Bus/Public Light Bus or MTR.
- Proximity to a LCSD or like option for running track, broad band internet, and library would be great.
- What district and specific area/villages to research and any recommended real estate agents or agencies for our budget?
- Any other input is welcome.