Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By penguinsix
  • 1 Post By pizzalover

Moving to HK from Cambridge, MA in August

Moving to HK from Cambridge, MA in August

Hello,
    I'm moving to Hong Kong from Cambridge, Massachusetts in the U.S. in early August for work.

I was wondering if you have any advice on what exactly I will need to set up a bank account, a phone and to get an apartment in order. I heard that you do not need to provide three past pay stubs (which I will not have yet), but that a passport is enough to get a lease and bank account.

What documents do I need to set up the bank account, and is it better to set up an HSBC when I get there rather than opening one in the U.S. beforehand? Is there a difference between opening one in the U.S. and opening one there?

When you first arrive, do you just use travelers checks to put down a deposit for rent?

What kind of phone is most popular there? Is there such a phone that will allow incoming and outgoing international calls and texts very easily as well as the Internet? Also, is there such a thing as converting your U.S. cell phone number into a Skype number and forwarding all your Skype calls/texts to your new HK cell phone so incoming callers don't have to pay to contact you?

Other Stuff
    Does anyone know good ways to get in touch with other classical musicians who gig or to get connected with great indie rock bands that are playing at interesting venues around town? Are there any open mics for rock music and poetry/prose out there? Any ways to connect with freelance journalists and writers as well?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP
    Adrianna

We were able to open an HSBC account via the Internet prior to our arrival, but we had an address where documents could be sent which made things easier. Before we left the US we managed to open an HSBC account in the USA as well, mainly so that we could move money back and forth relatively easily.

Forget travelers checks. If you need to put money down you can always do a wire transfer from your US bank, or if you have an HK bank, a direct transfer bank-to-bank (I'm noticing paper checks are not used that frequently)

I do not know if you can convert a mobile to a Skype In number. You'll have to dig on Skype.com for an answer. I just setup Skype In numbers in the area codes where most of my friends were that call. I bought a Skype wi-fi phone in my house that rings with my US numbers. I don't forward to my mobile because people aren't really the best at remembering the 12 hour time zone difference.

RedCello likes this.

To open an HSBC account, you need passport, driver's license (as a proof of address), and your work contract. .

For txting, check out google voice. Top 10 Clever Google Voice Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by RedCello
    Hello,
    I'm moving to Hong Kong from Cambridge, Massachusetts in the U.S. in early August for work.

I was wondering if you have any advice on what exactly I will need to set up a bank account, a phone and to get an apartment in order. I heard that you do not need to provide three past pay stubs (which I will not have yet), but that a passport is enough to get a lease and bank account.

What documents do I need to set up the bank account, and is it better to set up an HSBC when I get there rather than opening one in the U.S. beforehand? Is there a difference between opening one in the U.S. and opening one there?

When you first arrive, do you just use travelers checks to put down a deposit for rent?

What kind of phone is most popular there? Is there such a phone that will allow incoming and outgoing international calls and texts very easily as well as the Internet? Also, is there such a thing as converting your U.S. cell phone number into a Skype number and forwarding all your Skype calls/texts to your new HK cell phone so incoming callers don't have to pay to contact you?

Other Stuff
    Does anyone know good ways to get in touch with other classical musicians who gig or to get connected with great indie rock bands that are playing at interesting venues around town? Are there any open mics for rock music and poetry/prose out there? Any ways to connect with freelance journalists and writers as well?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP
    Adrianna
    RedCello likes this.