Family of Three: Realistic Salary?

Family of Three: Realistic Salary?

Hi - I have been offered a job in HK on a salary of 310,000 HK$ per annum (which works out to about 45K US, I think.

Is this a realistic salary for a family of 3 to live in reasonable comfort on?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks.

that only gives you a monthly salary of around $25,000HKD... that's the currency that is used in hk and it only gets confusing if we start switching the currencies...

you make no mention of what your requirements are, or of any benefits that you may receive from your company...

1) do you wish for 2000' house/apartment with a garden? or will you be happy in 800' with not even a balcony?

2) do you intend to get a car? and if so will it have to be the newest model of BMW or Benz, or is a second or third hand clunker of a honda ok?

3) if you choose to make use of the HK public transportation system, will you stick with buses or will you wish to taxi everywhere to save time?

4) will you use the local ingredients when cooking and expand your palate? or will you want to stick to the tried and true from home (which of course is all imported here)?

5)for a day out with the family, will head to one of the many public beaches or will you want to be a member of an exclusive club that has a private swimming pool?

6) will you plan on going home every year for 4-6 weeks during the summer or will you choose to visit some place a little closer?

7) when you do travel, do you go "five star" all the way, or are you happier to go "three star" to save some $$$?

8) you said that you are a family of 3... how old is the child?
    what kind of school do you want the child to attend, an international school with high fees and a huge debenture? or an english medium local school?

9) when you need to visit the doctor, will you only go to foreign doctors or will you settle for a local one?

i'm not making judgements on anyone for any of the choices that they make when it comes to spending their money... but life is all about choices...

if you choose the "extravagant " lifestyle that i've depicted, then $25,000 would not even cover your rent, never mind schooling or anything else...

if you choose the "miser" lifestyle, you may be able to scrape by but you would be "surviving" and not "living" school fees themselves will set you back between $5000-10,000/month!!! and most people would consider this to be a very important investment

Sorry, I miscalculated the salary - its actually about 30,000HK$ per month, or 351,000 HK$ p.a

But in answer to your questions, which I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to ask:

1) do you wish for 2000' house/apartment with a garden? or will you be happy in 800' with not even a balcony?

- We live in Japan at the moment, so something small will be fine

2) do you intend to get a car? and if so will it have to be the newest model of BMW or Benz, or is a second or third hand clunker of a honda ok?

- Absolutely no interest in owning a car

3) if you choose to make use of the HK public transportation system, will you stick with buses or will you wish to taxi everywhere to save time?

- I'd like to use taxis now and again if possible, but don't mind public transport at all

4) will you use the local ingredients when cooking and expand your palate? or will you want to stick to the tried and true from home (which of course is all imported here)?

- A bit of both, ie a mixture of local, European (I am British) and Japanese ingredients (my wife is Japanese)

5)for a day out with the family, will head to one of the many public beaches or will you want to be a member of an exclusive club that has a private swimming pool?

- Public beaches sound fantastic!

6) will you plan on going home every year for 4-6 weeks during the summer or will you choose to visit some place a little closer?

- 1 or 2 weeks in the summer to the UK or Japan would be great

7) when you do travel, do you go "five star" all the way, or are you happier to go "three star" to save some $$$?

- 2 star or three star is adequate

8) you said that you are a family of 3... how old is the child?
    what kind of school do you want the child to attend, an international school with high fees and a huge debenture? or an english medium local school?

- Our little boy is 8 weeks old. Not old enough for school yet. By the time he is, I hope to be making more...

9) when you need to visit the doctor, will you only go to foreign doctors or will you settle for a local one?

- The company will provide health cover, so I suppose that would be covered adequately

This is a major life decision I am about to make (Do we stay in Japan or move to Hong Kong?), so any and all serious opinions welcome.

With the lifestyle you have described it is certainly possible to live in at a very reasonable level. As an indication, the average household income in HK is below HK$20,000 per month. Your wife would also be able to work if she wished, and she should be able to earn (depending on her qualifications of course) a lot more than it would cost to hire a domestic helper to help look after your child. It sounds to me (from the little information we have to go on) that if the move makes sense for you from a career point of view then you shouldn't have a problem.

Make sure you get a reasonable relocation package in terms of removal costs and up to a month in a hotel or serviced apartment while you find somewhere to live.

i`d think they prob pay you more in japan... why relocate ?