Advice Wanted thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Advice Wanted thanks

Hi everyone
    I will be moving to HK at the end of July for six months.Just wanted help on the following thanks.
    1. I will be working in the Wan Chai area and will prob look for flatshare due to the period of time over.Any good suggestions for a m36 non smoker?
    2.is it easy to get a pay as you go sim card to use in my mobile?I have just spent 2yrs in good old? Dubai and all you had to do was take in your passport and part with DHS200 around £35.top up cards were available everywhere.Is it the same sysytem?
    3.For all those expats with good knowledge can you please tell me what Wan Chai is like at day/night as I have heard so many different reports!
    Thanks in advance
    AJ

1. No idea on flatshare...
    2. Very easy to get a PAYG SIM - there's a choice of companies, and they all do them as far as I know... There are even vending machines selling them in a few places. You probably don't need to show any ID (i.e. passport) to get one - I was given one by a friend before I came, so I've never bought one.
    3. Living in Wanchai, well... it depends on whereabouts. I would probably avoid the Lockhart Road area, more for noise than anything else - there are (as my aching head from Saturday night tells me) plenty of places there open until past the wee hours and into the morning, and I wouldn't really want to live around that. On the other hand, further inland, more towards Queen's Road, is probably fine. Wanchai is a reasonably large area, and while it's not the most upmarket district on the island, apart from the Lockhart Road area, it's residental, commercial, retail like other mixed neighbourhoods.
    4. Welcome to Hong Kong :-)

thanks very much.

Hi AJ,
    1. You could look at this site for flatshare otherwise try the English newspaper SCMP.
    2. Pre-paid SIM cards are cheap and available from the phone shops, phone accessory shops the photo developing chain Fotomax and some convenience stores. Purchase is around HKD100 and gives you well between 100 and 460 minutes of airtime (but HK rounds up to the minute).
    3. If it's got to be Wan Chai for you then the Star Street area is best for its proximity to cafes and restaurants and its distance from Lockhart Road.

Star street is a good suggestion for living in. I work in Wanchai and agree with not living on Lockhart Road unless you are in a newer building on one of the higher floors. There is really only 2 blocks on Lockhart Road that are an issue- by the time you get to about 150 Lockhart there are no bars etc. I have a few friends who live in Wanchai and like it for the cheaper rents and proximity to work, buses, MTR etc.....
    Hong Kong has a fantastic public transport system and, unlike Dubai, you do not need a car to get around. Living in Wanchai would be comparable to living in Bur Dubai!

MMMMMMMM Bur Dubai ha ha! Say no more. As long as there isnt a York International Hotel near by or SeaView or Imperial Suites! Too much info but great nights out APPARANTLY!
    Look forward to coming out as it beats Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks for the info

Thank you its great to have inside info.I assume calls to the UK are reasonable? Looking forward to seeing the sights etc
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by DJAJ2306:
    That wouldn't be Grantham of all places?

Quote Originally Posted by DJAJ2306:
    MMMMMMMM Bur Dubai ha ha! Say no more. As long as there isnt a York International Hotel near by or SeaView or Imperial Suites! Too much info but great nights out APPARANTLY!
    Thanks for the info

Agreed! York and Cyclones...hhmmm never been but i've heard the stories, only ever used to venture that way to go to Jimmy Dix!

I do miss Dubai, but Im keeping an open mind to my (hopefully) impending move!!

I think phone calls to the Uk are about 3 pence per minute, if not less.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast