Moving soon and a little bit under prepared!

Closed Thread

Smile Moving soon and a little bit under prepared!

Hello everyone!

I'm moving from the UK to Hong Kong in only a few weeks and I'm a little confused about most things!! I have quite a few questions, and if anyone can answer them I would really appreciate it. I'm moving out with my partner (who has a job) and I am looking to teach English. I've arranged a few interviews already, but does anyone know how long it takes for the sponsorship of my visa will take? I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs whilst my partner works all the time!
    Also, to get a mobile phone with a contract, do you have to have proof of address like in the UK? Because I would like one as soon as possible but won't have any bills for a while.

We're living in Conaught Road, Central (on HK island)-does anyone know where that is and if it is nice? (I hope so!)

Many thanks!

Steph

Work permit sponsorship isi usually 4-6 weeks if everything is in order.
    So yes you will be twiddling your thumbs for a while.

Yes with mobile on a contract you'll need prooof of address and maybe even have to pay a deposit.

Best bet is to just get yourself a payg sim at first.

Hi Steph, I got a mobile phone with PCCW on contract and they posted a letter to my house and I then had to take the letter to the shop and it was proof that I lived there.... a bit of a pain but as I did not have any bills etc it was the only way out... you can buy pay as you go cards and they are good value to tide you over....

Steph are you male / female ?? if female ther are sooo many groups you can join here you will definately not be twiddling your thumbs... my husband works and we have only managed to have lunch twice in three months as I have been booked up with activities and classes - we only arrived in May.....

If you're not married then you need your on Employment Visa (and you won't have the right to live in HK unless/until you get one).

Connaught Road is in the Central business district. Not really a residential area at all... are you in a serviced apartment?

Hello, thanks a lot for the info!

We are living in a service apartment, Bauhina apartments, in central- it looks nice from the internet. I'm finding it a bit bizzare to be moving into a place i've never seen before!

Janet- Yes I am female- and I'm glad you said that I won't be bored! What are all these clubs you can join? How do you find out about them?
    Also, is it easy to meet expats and make new friends when you first get out there?

Steph

Hi Stept, I highly reccomend doing the At Home Course at the YWCA. IT is a great intro to Hong Kong and you will amke friends there. There are loads of other courses they do from Cooking to Tai Chi, have a look on the website.....www.esmd.ywca.org.hk The new programme starts in September. You can PM me if you need any other info. Don't worry about bringing things here in case you can't get them, there has not been anything so far that I can't find - you just might have to look a little harder than at home. When are you moving ??

forgot to say that you should also google American Womens Association and Australian Association, they both have clubs here you can join and they are for All women... I joined the American Womens which is very social but a friend has joined the Australian Club and says it is very friendly also..... basically loads of expat wives having coffee, going for days out and sharing interests. They also do a lot of really important fundraising for local charities and charity work......

That should definately keep you busy!!!! You might have to start juggling your diary to fit in Cantonese lessons, tea at the penninsula and shopping in Shenzen.......

Hi Steph

Never been in to Bauhinia but I know the location and it is good - possibly not where you would want to be long term as it is quite commercial and the more residential areas are further up the hill.You will get a taste of the local atmosphere being in Sheung Wan but can walk to Central easily and have good transport options for the rest of HK. You are really close to;
    Sheung Wan MTR
    The tram
    Wing On Department store
    Gateway American store
    Starbuck/Pacific Coffee/Delifrance
    Fitness First gym
    A few minutes walk from the IFC and probably 15 minutes walk to Lan Kwai Fong and Soho.

Enjoy!