Having doubts...is it possible?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Don't get me started with the Teach English stuff. I find this always so insulting towards the locals...

Hey I am a native english speaker, I wanna work in HK but cant find a job...well wait wait wait I can be an english teacher..easy....Bollocks yeah !

In English teacher you have the word TEACHER and sorry but being native does not make you a teacher...

Won't even talk about the salary they usually get JUST because they were "lucky enough" to be borm in an english speaking country...

Anyway to go back to the first question, well I guess even you can give a try, there is no harm trying to come with your husband..in any case if it does not work you can always go back...
    Who's insulting you? Merely a suggestion as a survival temp job. Heck I'm gonna try it myself after settling in and figure it could be a transition thing. Plus for you it might be a good way to get some free Chinese lessons. I have read I might have a hard time but am already sending my wife out and unlike you she is quite eager to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    The agencies here really are a waste of time and to this day I don't understand how they survive. I know very few people who got their jobs through and agency but I know several who get theirs through the 'not who you know but who knows you' method.
    I got my job here through an advert on jobserve, all done through an agency. Maybe you just dealt with the wrong ones

Don't get me started with the Teach English stuff. I find this always so insulting towards the locals...

Hey I am a native english speaker, I wanna work in HK but cant find a job...well wait wait wait I can be an english teacher..easy....Bollocks yeah !
    Hi Mat

While I agree with you in principle on the teacher front there is a guy I know who teaches english and is local who can barely understand a word I say which I think has to be a lot worse?

Kitty just want to check are you sure your husband will be able to work as a dependent visa as I thought it was not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkfodder:
    Kitty just want to check are you sure your husband will be able to work as a dependent visa as I thought it was not normal.
    The rules changed in May back to what they were before - i.e. that dependents of people on Employment Visas CAN work.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian1:
    Who's insulting you? Merely a suggestion as a survival temp job. Heck I'm gonna try it myself after settling in and figure it could be a transition thing. Plus for you it might be a good way to get some free Chinese lessons. I have read I might have a hard time but am already sending my wife out and unlike you she is quite eager to do so.
    Not insulting me, I am not teacher and non local as well.
    Just fed up to always see the same suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Asian1:
    . I have read I might have a hard time but am already sending my wife out and unlike you she is quite eager to do so.
    you really presume a lot don't you?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    if the job earns enough to get yoiu an Employment Visa (generally reckoned to be more than HK$20K per month) then 60% ok HK households will be surviving on less than you
    We still have some debts in the UK to pay, they will take a decent chunk from my wage. It's not that we want to live like kings, we just want to get by. We thought about English teaching, but I really don't think he's cut out for it - he's not the teaching type plus he has a pretty strong Belfast accent!

He works in a bank at the moment, doing credit control/collections. I know there are lots of banks in HK, but aren't they all looking for graduates?

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    We still have some debts in the UK to pay, they will take a decent chunk from my wage. It's not that we want to live like kings, we just want to get by. We thought about English teaching, but I really don't think he's cut out for it - he's not the teaching type plus he has a pretty strong Belfast accent!
    Please don't feel the need to explain yourself to this guy.

In English teacher you have the word TEACHER and sorry but being native does not make you a teacher...

Won't even talk about the salary they usually get JUST because they were "lucky enough" to be borm in an english speaking country...

Anyway to go back to the first question, well I guess even you can give a try, there is no harm trying to come with your husband..in any case if it does not work you can always go back...
    Don't most people who teach English get a certificate to qualify themselves as English TEACHERS?

Well,I came to hk 11 years ago. I have a BA in History and Political Science.
    I do not have a "teaching" certificate. What I do have is 11 years of experience. Sometimes, I think that counts for more than a certificate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast