Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geoff

Built in robes negotiable with lease?

Closed Thread

Built in robes negotiable with lease?

We are moving to HK at the end of August. I am wondering if it is possible to negotiate for built in robes to be installed when leasing or if people pay to have them installed themselves? If so, what is the cost per room? Would prefer not to ship wardrobes as it would limit our choice of rental property to those without built-ins.

Any advice appreciated.

Definitely don't ship your wardrobes. They are unlikely to fit here and space is a premium so you don't want your wardrobes too big to fit in the space, nor too small to waste space.

You can definitely try to ask the landlord to install built in wardrobes, and you might be successful.

If not, then having custom made stuff built, delivered and set up is relatively cheap and won't break the bank.

outfor3 likes this.

Thanks Geoff. Looks like we should leave robes behind and worry about it when we get there.

If anyone has had robes custom made to fit and was happy with the service and price I would love to hear from them.

I think it will depend on your budget and apartment size as to whether your new apartment will have BIR.

I have seen some apartments, particularly large one/two bedroom apartments that have generous BIR. But these were at the higher end of the price-range.

Otherwise it was a strickly no BIR/storage at all, as the apartments are too small to start with.

Cheap/efficient wardrobes and storage solutions can be bought from IKEA and Pricerite.

Regardless, as Geoff rightly said, definitely don't bring them.