(another) NY expat seeking moving recos

(another) NY expat seeking moving recos

An impressively insightful + helpful group you all appear to be. I'd be very interested in the group wisdom on some basic moving questions as I + and my gf scramble to move to HK from NY by the end of August.

*moving company suggestions from NY to HK
    *apartment suggestions (not surprisingly i've been told mid-levels would suit our social nature)
    *bars, clubs, restaurants, others we should seek out upon arrival

very appreciative of any suggestions.

Do you both have jobs in HK and where are they located?

aww a ny'er! ima be in ny august 9th til the end of the month!
    well...if you guys r social...and will work around the central area..or eslewhere even actually, yes mid levels would b an ideal location - very accessible via the escalator or cab from central - and from central u can catch a bunch load of buses or even the mtr to take you wherever else your work may be.

in terms of living close to the social scene - again , yes with mid levels. it's a very quick ride or even a lil walk back to your apartment. but you kno wat...hk island is very convenient, and cabs r pretty cheap in hk so if u choose to live elsewhere close to central, thats not gonna b too bad for you either. the advantage is it may be a little cheaper than mid levels (but if youre co. is payin for it! heck! live it up! lol or if u dont mind spendin a lil bit more do..again! live it up! lol)

in regards to the where to party on your first night. there's of course the very helpful method of us giving names, but i always like taking my friends for a little wander around lan kwai fong (the main strip with bars on either side) and look into each place and see which vibe they're feelin. there r places w good ol 80s sounds, then u have the chill spanish bars, then you even have the live rock bands or hip hop lounges..so u have a bit of everything.

the other good thing is that everythgin is pretty much open for all to see. so if youre sitting at one place, you can look over to another and see wat the mood is like there, and if you like, stroll over there for the next drink! ;-) my favourite part about the Lan Kwai scene is you can walk around outside with your drink and just float from place to place and mingle, and its usually a friendly atmosphere

ok...so im gona stop rambling now...good luck with your move!

don't forget to end your night with a kebab from ebeneezers!! both in lan kwai and wan chai! very satisfying after a long night! ;-) even on a regular day - ive got my family hooked! lol