How to be a HK resident?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

bobbybo : they have given the HKSAR passport to other minorities in Hong Kong like Indians who were born here .... still pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    bobbybo : they have given the HKSAR passport to other minorities in Hong Kong like Indians who were born here .... still pretty tough.
    So dying and being reincarnated as a Hong Kong citizen seems like the easies option. Worth the risk of killing myself?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    True, I forgot that. But if I remember well that has been done for a lack of laws covering the minority issue created in the passage from Britain to China. Is this the story?

ok, that means i have to make my sponsorship through some companies in HK. Ok, i have one company who can do this. They will sponsor me and then i can enter HK. But in order to stay continuous 7 yrs in Hong Kong, will they allow me to have visa for all this years?

I have heard it's more easy if we marry some HK girls or arrange for just a paper marriage? Can someone please refer me such agencies or any agents who are doing this? What ar ethe fee terms?

Quote Originally Posted by nD_:
    ok, that means i have to make my sponsorship through some companies in HK. Ok, i have one company who can do this. They will sponsor me and then i can enter HK. But in order to stay continuous 7 yrs in Hong Kong, will they allow me to have visa for all this years?

I have heard it's more easy if we marry some HK girls or arrange for just a paper marriage? Can someone please refer me such agencies or any agents who are doing this? What ar ethe fee terms?
    Er, no. They will sponsor you and then you apply to the Immigration Department who form a judgement on whether the job you have been offered is one that is suitable for the grant of an Employment Visa. If they approve the Visa then initially it will be for 1 year, and is then normally renewed in 2 year increments provided that you continue to be employed in that same role. If you wish to move to a different sponsor then you have to go through a transfer process which is not dissimilar to the initial application. Having an Employment Visa allows you only to work for the company which sponsored you. It does not allow you to undertake full-time study.

If you marry a HK citizen then you will almost certainly be granted a Dependent Visa which would allow you to work or study. But you then have to come and be ordinarily resident in HK with that status for 7 years before you can apply for Permanent Residence.
    Last edited by PDLM; 20-08-2006 at 04:57 PM.

sorry, it was a silly mistake. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by nD_:
    I have been living in China since last 1 & half years. I am doing some small trading business here. My aim is to enter and reside in HK as a permanent resident.

Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way?I want a secure life and nothing is much better than being a HK resident. I am still young, so i am determined to work and study in some good university. Being a HK resident means visa approvals in many countries.

Can anyone tell me what happens to be the best way for me.
    Get married to a permanent HK resident, or invest 6.4 Million HKD for 7 years.
    Last edited by KnowItAll; 21-08-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: lets not get that cynical ....

don't mean to disappoint u, but hk can be quite racist to people of non hk chinese origin (including mainland chinese)/ non white.

such discrimination is the strongest towards people of south east asian/ south asian/ african origin where the natives have darker skin.

you might find it harder to fit in if you cannot speak cantonese.

Thanks friend. But life is so tough that it can help me to fit anywhre and adapt as per the environment. I hav been living in China more then 1 yr and to some extent, i steak Potungua very nicely, at least can communicate very well.

I know this is an old thread but the following questions just came to mind.

Q1: If I marry an HK citizen, do I automatically become HK resident even after we divorce? Let's say we divorce after 2-3 years of marriage only

Q2: [If the answer to Q1 is NO] Assuming that I have been working in HK with work visa for 3 straight years and got married to an HK citizen before my work contract ends. We then got a divorce after 4 years of marriage. This means I would have stayed in HK for 7 years (3+4) already. Will I retain my HK resident status even after divorce?