Bringing alcohol from U.S.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bringing alcohol from U.S.?

I want to bring alcohol as a gift when I come from the U.S. Does anyone know how much is allowed? It's a specific kind that Duty-Free doesn't sell, so I will need to buy beforehand and pack in checked luggage, I guess.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I litre alcohol is allowed in HK.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Quantities of Alcoholic Liquor and Tobacco for Incoming Passengers (effective from 1 August 2010)
    Alcoholic Liquor

A passenger aged 18 or above is allowed to bring into Hong Kong, for his own use, 1 litre of alcoholic liquor with an alcoholic strength above 30% by volume measured at a temperature of 20℃ exempted from duty.

If the passenger holds a Hong Kong Identity Card, he must have spent 24 hours or longer outside Hong Kong.

I usually bring in 3-4 litres and have never had a problem. The HK customs have even checked me a few times and did not care.

How much is allowed if it's under 30% strength?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    I usually bring in 3-4 litres and have never had a problem. The HK customs have even checked me a few times and did not care.
    Jared, are you Chinese? I ask to gauge whether customs might hassle me. I'm Chinese, with a U.S. passport, as well as a Hong Kong permanent ID. I've never used the HK ID on entry. I don't know whether that might make a difference, either, if I use one or the other. I've always gone to HK with someone without a HK ID, so I used my passport so we could stay together through immigration. This time, I will travel alone, so I can use either document, depending on which will get me through customs easier. I am coming to work for several months, so I will have at least two pieces of checked luggage, if that matters.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by Herngju; 02-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Nope i'm Texan. I usually carry 1 litre bottles of tequila and sometimes home made stuff if i'm visiting friends in SC. They tend to bother people with cigarettes it seems. The HK guys are usually pretty ok with people on US flights and tend not to bother you at all unless you look dodgy.

Last edited by JaredHK; 02-08-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Cool. Thanks, Jared. That's helpful to know. Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gone through HK airport many many times and never been asked about anything by customs. Should not be a problem. Anyway duty on alcohol is alot lower since recently so people are more interested taking it out than in.

@Hern
    I think they are mainly after people bringing in a lot of Cigarettes so you should be ok with a bit of extra booze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast