driving a car in hk is easy ??????????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

driving a car in hk is easy ??????????

i will be new in hk after few months, and i have a question....can i have a car , or buy a car in hk...is it easy to have the driving licence..? wich kind of visa ...z...? f ?...

thanks for your reply..

oliv

hk doesn't have z or f visas... that's china...

the kind of visa you have does not affect whether you can drive here or not.

if you have the money, you can buy a car...

Easy if you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road and having the front passenger do the steering!

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK:
    Easy if you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road and having the front passenger do the steering!
    ....as opposed to the back seat passenger doing the "driving" where you come from? Anyway, as to who's "wrong", "right", and "left", here's a link:
    http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...the%20left.htm

Ro the original poster, re driving licenses check item 3 in the following link

The question is, why do you want to drive a car in Hong Kong?

Just come here, check out the public transport, enjoy our nice air pollution, have a look at the petrol and parking prices, then think again.

For the price of a covered carpark in our office building I could take the taxi for half of the month.

Passing the driving exam in HK can be a nightmare if you used to drive and park in the US, where the roads / parkspace are 1.5 times wider than here.

FYI, a few years ago. the following news made a headline in HK. An expat from the UK came to work in HK in some sort of Automobile Association. Despite his 20+ years of driving experience, he failed the driving exam of HK 2 or 3 times (can't remember the exact no.). Then he said on the newspaper that the driving test in HK was too tough... so and so...

Many people passed the driving test only after a few trials. That's because it's highly likely that the examiner quite would require you to do the S-shape parking into a super-tiny space.... No re-do at all if you've made any mistake - have to pay for the next round of exam. That's one of the means to generate revenue for the HK govt....

Be that as it may, if you have a current driving licence from the UK, US (or about 30 other places) then you can simply convert it to a HK Driving licence on payment of a fee. No exam is necessary.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

That's exactly what the 'link' four posts up describes - it's the Transport Dept. page on direct driver's licence without a test. The eligible countries of issuance of overseas licence are in Appendix C on the main index page of that link.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Be that as it may, if you have a current driving licence from the UK, US (or about 30 other places) then you can simply convert it to a HK Driving licence on payment of a fee. No exam is necessary.
    just as a follow up, if you're a non-citizen, you need proof of living in the US/UK or wherever for over 6 months or so. just had mine converted to a hk license. pretty hassle free.

Quote Originally Posted by TaLL|dUdE:
    just as a follow up, if you're a non-citizen, you need proof of living in the US/UK or wherever for over 6 months or so. just had mine converted to a hk license. pretty hassle free.
    True in principle, but they seem pretty relaxed about that - I apologised for the fact that I was having difficulty finding a document proving I was in the UK during a specific 6 months period 25 years ago (and produced a school certificate from a little while later). There was no problem at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast