Like Tree1Likes

Apply to study in HK from UK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No flies on you today bwana.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I assume you have HK I.D f you're a BBC?
    Unfortunately I don't as my parents are (pinyin) "Yuet Lam Wah Kiu (Vietnam overseas Chinese). So are not from Hong Kong.

yeah but then you are from Stoke so you wouldn't really want to keep banging on about that would you?

You are right though, don't get people say I'm Indian Born British do you? Or I'm a British Born Australian. You get things like Irish American, but no differentiation between Irish Born Americans and American Born Irish Descent Americans.

So you are BBVC not BBC? Is that false advertising?

Can someone clever do that in latin?

Last edited by Load Toad; 06-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.

FDWNSRIBP

Fanny Deakin Ward North Staffs Royal Infirmary Born Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    So I'm constantly amazed that Chinese overseas have to announce themselves in this way; snobbery - that's all it is.
    I can't speak on behalf of others, but I certainly don't use the 'label' "BBC" to be 'snobbish'. It's just a s'label' I use to let those who were wondering, know that I am from the UK and am Chinese.

I'm cross Anglo Saxon / Norman then. Well - may be a bit of Briton in there but we don't like to talk about it. Pikey's.

So I'm FDWNSRIBAS/NP then.

You can see how dumb this is when it is pure fate where we are born and we are all descended from star dust and pond slime.

Last edited by Load Toad; 06-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJade:
    Unfortunately I don't as my parents are (pinyin) "Yuet Lam Wah Kiu (Vietnam overseas Chinese). So are not from Hong Kong.
    PJade, there is HKU Space that offers a lot of courses for mature students. School of Professional And Continuing Education, HKU: CEF, Award-bearing & Professional and Short Course

Not sure how easy it will be to get a student visa - some of the courses I have looked at say that the programme is intended for those who have a right to live and work in HK and that it is unlikely that an overseas candidate will be given a visa to study the course. However, I don't think this applies to all courses.

Many of the HKU Space courses are part time so it may be easier to get a job here first, get a HKID and then start studying.
    PJade likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    So you are BBVC
    "Yuet Lam Wah Kiu" means ethnic Chinese born in Vietnam", therefore Nationality is Vietnamese but Ethnicity is Chinese.

Just like my Nationality is British, but Ethnicity is Chinese.

You seem very angry with this whole "BBC" thing and I'm sure you have your reasons, but my thread in this forum isn't about "BBC" so isn't it best for you to just not participate in this thread if it offends you?

Liquorice, thanks for your info and for sticking to the topic.

Much appreciated