Like Tree2Likes

Move to Hk and loads of questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Move to Hk and loads of questions

Hi guys,

I have an offer from a large bank for 700k a year in HK and I will need to relocate within September. I guess my first question is how much should I put aside for a small property monthly? Will I be able to live near the beach given then amount above and if so what sort of areas should I google for? I guess another question is around the cost of living. I mean I don't plan on eating out at five star hotels daily but is there a rough estimate that a person around 27 and living with a partner is expected to spend? Finally I guess the biggest doubt I have is around my partner's work. My company is arranging a six month visa for her and she is an English teacher (non-native). Will she be able to find a job in hk or do they look only for native teachers?

Thx a lot
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Yannis; 08-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.

700k in what currency?

Have you been to HK before?
    When you say "near the beach", what exactly do you mean?
    Are you after a water view or a beach where you can swim?

Some peoples "small place" is anothers palace - especially in HK.
    Anything from HK$10k-$50k a month is possible, with a $10k apartment having lots of compromises, ie, smaller, longer commute, etc.

Your company cannot sponsor your partners work visa, unless she is going to be working for that company. That is, the work visa is company sponsored and it is not a general work visa where you can just work for any company.

S E A R C H F U N C T I O N

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yannis:
    Finally I guess the biggest doubt I have is around my partner's work. My company is arranging a six month visa for her and she is an English teacher (non-native). Will she be able to find a job in hk or do they look only for native teachers?
    As noted, your employer cannot sponsor your partner for a visa unless she works for them. They could perhaps assist her to apply for an extended visitor visa, but she would not be permitted to work on such a visa. To be able to work she needs to get an Employment Visa in her own right, which means finding a job for which the employer is prepared to sponsor her AND which Immigration deems suitable for an Employment Visa (i.e. no locals are available to do the job). Some English teachers get such visas if they are suitably qualified and experienced, but, obviously, the vast majority of them are native speakers.

Other options include:
    - get married (assuming you are male) and she will get a Dependant Visa, which allows her to work freely with no further paperwork
    - if she is a citizen of Australian, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada, Germany or Japan and aged under 30 then she could get a Working Holiday Visa
    - if she meets the points threshold she could apply under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

Details of all the visa types here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Thx everyone for their answers so far. My company mentioned that they are arranging a six month visa for my partner. I dont know the status of that visa but that's what's in the offer. 700k is in hkd and I was thinking of a place near the beach so that I could go not just have sea view. I mean I don't know...this is what I was thinking but maybe it's not doable given my budget. What about general living expenses? Thx
    Posted via Mobile Device

Well they cannot "simply arrange" a visa for her, so you need to push back on that. She could apply to the Immigration Department for an extended visitors visa, but she will need to be involved in the process, and this visa will NOT permit her to work.

700K, 'bout 58K a month. - your tax bill.

No - you is not going to be living on / near the beach unless you is getting up at 5.30 to get t' work.

And you is a banker who must work oh - very long hours.

It isn't hard to get to a beach in HK. Come the weekend - within 30 min you can be sitting on the sand.

Last edited by Load Toad; 08-08-2010 at 04:54 PM.

HI Yannis,

The answers haven't been really helpful. I hope my answers will give you more info.

Accommodation
    ============
    It really depends on whether you are willing to travel and how far you like to live from the city. If you are a beach person and wants to use the beach, you will be quite disappointed as the beaches in HK are quite polluted. I wouldn't want to put myself in the water. Having said that, beach areas are either the south of HK island - definitely quite expensive properties OR Sai Kung - definitely much cheaper in rent, better air and right next to the country parks. Although HK is small, traffic jam is huge. I would definitely live close to the MTR (underground) station. That's the only reliable transportation in HK. You can save the travelling time for a trip to the beach on the weekend. $$$ wise, it really depends what you are looking for and can afford. It varies a lot as previous posts said.

Eating Out
    ========
    Lots of cheap eat in HK. They are local food though. If you love the Asian food, HKD 12 can buy a bowl of noodles. A cup of coffee costs HKD 6. The only obstacle is that you may need to "point" to order food or ask other customers to help you order. Caucasians usually go to restaurants. For those restaurants serving western food, you are looking at HKD 100-150 a main course. Not cheap.

English Teacher
    ============
    There is an English (foreigner) teacher in every local school in HK to boost up the English abilities among HK students. The candidate must have an English degree though. There are quite a number of international schools in HK. You are better off to ring up these schools and start making contacts. You may be able to get a supply teacher job or coordinator type of work. Otherwise, offering private English classes is a good way to earn a living too. You will never be short of customers.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by saffron_bee:
    I would definitely live close to the MTR (underground) station. That's the only reliable transportation in HK.
    What a ludicrous statement. More people rely on buses of various forms than on the MTR.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast