Moving to Hong Kong with two little boys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

so basically, the travelling time won't be that much different if you take the ferry and MTR/KCR or the bus, then MTR/KCR....

Thanks Carang and Sleuth - hubby's office will be right next to Shatin KCR so it's quite handy

But I'm not sure he'd fancy an hour commute though... I guess we'll try to find something family friendly near Shatin instead.

if you want somewhere that is full of Westerners (assume you do if you are also considering Disco Bay) then you can't go wrong with Sai Kung. Lots of Westerners, nice environment, good scenery and definitely kid friendly, and just out of the way enough to make you feel as though you have some sort of escape. Also close to good areas such as Clearwater Bay, and right bang next door to (IMO) the best country parks in Hong Kong in terms of size and scenery. Oh and of course it is on the coast, so some beaches and nice bays to discover.

Bus 299 goes from Sha Tin to Sai Kung terminus and back again, journey takes around 30-40 mins. Or failing that you can get the 299 to Ma On San and the Ma On San rail to Sha Tin which would probably speed things up. Ma On Saan itself is also OK, most of it fairly new (including the rail link and loads of new roads). Only problem with Sai Kung is that you may find you need a car for the days when you don't want to go into Sha Tin, as the nearest MTR stop is probably Hang Hau, which is a good 15/20 minute car ride away.

If you want more local exposure, then anywhere along the KCR east rail would be fine including Sha Tin and Tai Wai. Both are popular with expats (though not as much as Sai Kung). You could go further out Tai Po, Fan Ling etc depending on how adventurous you are, but if you want to keep quick times into island and kowloon, probably not a good idea. And you would definitely need to have some (basic is fine) level of Cantonese to get anything done.

Last edited by Pekkerhead; 19-09-2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: i am a crap speller

Quote Originally Posted by fore51:
    Hi,

We are currently finalising our decision to move to Hong Kong. WE have two little boys (2 & 4), who are extremely active and love to run around. My concern is that Hong Kong apartments will not be big enough to contain the two boys. I would love to hear experiences from other people.

We are also looking at other areas off Hong Kong Island where there would be enough space for the kids to run, and still be close to Hong Kong.

Thanks in advance.
    It really depends on your housing allowance. There are plenty of places on Hong Kong island where you can get a three bedroom flat with a pool and playground, and prices vary greatly. It also depends where you want your kids to go to preschool/school, because if you want them to go to school on the island, then living in DB is just one huge hassle.
    You can get an idea of where to live by going on the hong kong homes website, habitat properties, landmark asia properties, proway, etc. Popular places with preschools, playgrounds and pools and a million activities for children include the Parkview, Belchers, Bel Air and the Repulse Bay.

Dear All,

Thanks for all your comments - they have really been helpful and definitely worth considering.

I do have a quick question for tx75070 - firstly, thanks for your comments, it really has made me think through my reasons for wanting to move to Hong Kong (we are currently living on the Beach in Sydney). I do have a question - do you currently live in an apartment - if so do you think your view would change if you were not living in an apartment?

Any further views would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by tx75070:
    I have a three year old boy and a daughter that will be two in November. Hong Kong is a difficult place to live with small kids. It would be even harder if you don't have a car. Well, I guess that depends whether or not you are coming from big city life. I think it also depends how long you are going to be here. Have you spent much time in Hong Kong? If so, you should ask yourself where you would have rather grown up? In HK or the place you grew up and apply the same logic to your children? Not that I regret making the decision to move my family out here, but if I could go back and do it again I probably would have stayed put even though the pay is better in HK.
    I just wanted to say that I really don't agree at all. We've lived in many different places with the kids (Paris, London suburbs, NY suburbs, the beach in Sydney) and this is one of their favorite places... they love the heat, going to the pool after school, the food, all the different great places to see (beaches, museums, markets). Also, it's very safe, and that's a first for us. We don't have a car yet, but they really enjoy travelling by bus. They made friends on their first day here, friends from all different nationalities and overall it's been really easy. They don't even mind our small flat.

good experience

Hi,

We have recently moved to HK and so far we love it and so do the kids. We have two energetic boys (3,5 and almost two years) and they love going to the pool. Ofcourse it depends on your housing allowance but we live in The Manhattan in Tai Tam and have a 2800 sq. ft duplex, beautiful seaviews. There is a nice outdoor and indoor playarea and space to bike. We have beaches and lots op children around. The American Club is across the road with great facilities for children. Life seems very easy and comfortable and I really don't have the feeling that I don't have enough space. In Stanley you have nice townhouses aswell. But again, it all depends on the budget.
    We have a great time and everyone I have met here so far with children living in the southside, had the same experience.
    Good luck!
    Sonja

Sonja,
    If we all lived where you do we'd also be happy as larry!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    I just wanted to say that I really don't agree at all. We've lived in many different places with the kids (Paris, London suburbs, NY suburbs, the beach in Sydney) and this is one of their favorite places... they love the heat, going to the pool after school, the food, all the different great places to see (beaches, museums, markets). Also, it's very safe, and that's a first for us. We don't have a car yet, but they really enjoy travelling by bus. They made friends on their first day here, friends from all different nationalities and overall it's been really easy. They don't even mind our small flat.
    I guess it depends on where you come from. You are already accustomed to expensive big city life.

I agree with ontheroad - I lived in HK from age 8 to 14, and loved it. I loved the weather, the food, the schools, the swimming pool at the flat, the trips to chung chau, the holidays to thailand...

I enjoyed being there so much I'm now trying to move back, and I hope to raise a family there.

Jen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2