Black people in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Black people in Hong Kong

Greetings forum,

I am planning to move to Hong Kong in the soon future and I was wondering about something.

I have previously taught English in Mainland China, specifically Zhengzhou and Guangzhou. I must state that I received discrimination based on my colour. (I am a Canadian that also happens to be black)

The discrimination that I am talking about is specifically regarding jobs. I would apply to a job and would sometimes get refused purely based on my skin colour.

Are there similar narrow minded people that happen to be in charge of hiring teachers in schools in Hong Kong?

>> Are there similar narrow minded people that happen to be in charge of hiring teachers in schools in Hong Kong?

Yes and no. Depends on the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG:
    The discrimination that I am talking about is specifically regarding jobs. I would apply to a job and would sometimes get refused purely based on my skin colour.

Are there similar narrow minded people that happen to be in charge of hiring teachers in schools in Hong Kong?
    Yes of course, Maybe less so than Mainland China but it still exists out here, The issue is with the Parents most of the time where they want their kid taught by some Blonde Blue Eyed American it doesn't matter if they have say an Alabama accent, They would choose that person over say an Asian with a more neutral accent or who might be better qualified.

I assume you've done a search on Daves ESL Cafe from fellow teachers who will tell you how it really is.

Are there any black people in Hong Kong? will be an interesting thread for you.

Regarding teaching jobs - I think it depends on your qualifications. In universities, international schools and local schools as a NET, I don't believe that it will be much of a problem. In language centres, yes you will get turned down because of your skin colour (although they won't say that).

@drumbrake
    The link that your provided is very useful and insightful. Thanks

okay, maybe i can make my question more specific. i've been teaching English in China and in Canada for 5 and a half years. I have my bachelors degree in philosophy...

In your opinion... would i be able to get a teaching job in Hk?

Not only do you need a job, you need an employer who is prepared to sponsor you for an Employment Visa. (Or as an alternative you might try to get a visa under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme, hence need no further paperwork, and hence probably find getting a job easier (and allowing freelance work).)

As a Canadian, if you are under 30 you could also get a Working Holiday Visa to test the waters here.

If you can get a job in China you can get a job in HK - clearly you already know all the issues already and have cracked a harder market! Yes there will be problems. But you'll find a way around them - just keep trying, and good luck.

Yes. HK is racist just like most countries out there. It's unfortunate. However, I know some centers/schools specifically look for 'foreign' teachers, by which they discrimate against their own people (native english speaking people of chinese race). It works both ways. As you've already got plenty of experience, I'm sure you'd be allright in HK if you are patient...and more importantly get a visa sorted out.

I know of three black Americans who have taught drama and English here in HK. It's actually not as uncommon as you'd think.