Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

Possible accomidations

Closed Thread

Possible accomidations

So Forum I was wondering....

I've been looking at English teacher jobs in Hong Kong for quite a while now. And a question came to me.

Salaries seem to range from 18,000HKD to 48,000HKD
    Is this accurate?

I've also been looking at apartments in Hong Kong, in various locations. And it seems like the rent for an apartment starts at about 4,000HKD and continues up for quite a while.

I've also noticed that an apartment for 4,000HKD isn't a very "nice" place.

Do most schools provide accommodations? Or at the very least provide a set amount of HKD's apart from the actual salary?

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG:
    I've been looking at English teacher jobs in Hong Kong for quite a while now. And a question came to me.
    Possible accomidations
    You have got to be kidding??

Salaries range from zero (scam) to some other higher number.

Accommodation costs range (for expats) from perhaps about 8k to gazillions. Anything less than 8k and you are either in the middle of nowhere or in a really nasty dive.

The decent paying jobs require real teachers (ie with degrees and teaching experience). The NETS scheme also requires some qualifications. The places that are likely to scam you are the ones that require little qualifications and little experience.

I think we can all figure out where you fit.

You say you have over 5 years of experience teaching English and that's what you come up with? That's just sad. Parlez vouz francais?

oui je peux parlez en francais. Pourquoi?

Why do you think that is sad?

So Forum I was wondering....

Salaries seem to range from 18,000HKD to 48,000HKD
    Is this accurate?

I've also been looking at apartments in Hong Kong, in various locations. And it seems like the rent for an apartment starts at about 4,000HKD and continues up for quite a while.

I've also noticed that an apartment for 4,000HKD isn't a very "nice" place.

Do most schools provide accommodations? Or at the very least provide a set amount of HKD's apart from the actual salary?
    English learning centres often require native English speakers which might be a reason why you are having difficulties.

Okay, it seems that everyone has misunderstood my question because it seems like the majority of you accept knowledge in a prima facie fashion.

The reason why i have brought up this question is because i have found conflicting information. Some adds would state that they provide accommodations and others would simply not say anything regarding that issue.

So, instead of basing my conclusion of whether accommodations are provided or not on the information given by the schools. I would ask teachers and people that might know teachers to tell me about their first or second hand experiences, so that i can be (a little bit) more sure.

some places provide accomodations (not many in hk).
    some places provide housing allowance (only NET scheme or proper teachers at an international school).
    the vast majority provide nothing.

EdwardG likes this.