Electrical Items - TVs specifically

Closed Thread

Electrical Items - TVs specifically

We are moving to HK next week. I just saw something on another thread which I need to clarify. I understand that electrical appliances have a different plug to Australia, but run off the same current. On this basis, we were planning on bringing some appliances which are brand new (such as coffee machine, pc and new TV) and using an adaptor with a power board.

Will the TV work in HK? Thread I read suggested that it would not receive the signal. Any clarification appreciated as removalists arrive early next week.

Thanks.

same voltage, analog tv signal should work, digital tv will not work ( au uses dvb-t sames as uk, hk uses china's dmbt system) thus you need a set top box, au tv may use 21pin scart which is rare in hk for analog video and audio

My expectation is that a TV from Australia would basically work for everything. The exception would be IF it has a built-in digital tuner then yes you will need to bypass that with a set-top box. But since you'll probably be wanting that set-top box anyway in order to get NOW TV (TV over broadband) then that's no big deal. There may be some cabling issues with SCART, but that's easily fixable with an adaptor.

I've taken plenty of things back and forth between HK and Aus, everything works fine.

Personally, I wouldn't bother shipping large items if I had to pay shipping myself though.

unless you have a quite a high end TV or at least high mid ranger, ie, 50" plus or Led tv, maybe better to sell in au, and buy new one in HK, for a decent brand 40" lcd starts from HK$7500/au$1330

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    unless you have a quite a high end TV or at least high mid ranger, ie, 50" plus or Led tv, maybe better to sell in au, and buy new one in HK, for a decent brand 40" lcd starts from HK$7500/au$1330
    I think this is poor advice, particularly if there is no incremental cost in bringing the TV. The OP described the TV as "new" and we have determined that it will work here, so why not bring it? We have also determined in other threads that HK is an expensive place to buy TVs by world standards.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think this is poor advice, particularly if there is no incremental cost in bringing the TV. The OP described the TV as "new" and we have determined that it will work here, so why not bring it? We have also determined in other threads that HK is an expensive place to buy TVs by world standards.
    in most cases, the shipping cost and insurance would cost more than the tv itself, thus, the relavance is whether it justifies to ship it over in the first place.

Insurance isn't that expensive, just a few percent of the total value of the shipment. Around 5% I think though I am not sure, last time I moved is a few years back.
    AFAIK it's not possible to insure individual items, it's typically all or nothing.

I will be relocating in a couple of months to HK and have been mulling over what to take and what to leave home. My objectives are 1)s spend as little as possible on new stuff in HK as it will only be for 2-3 years 2) company is paying for 1 way relocation so cost to relocate not an issue 3) ship as little stuff back with me when I leave as I will be paying shipping out. The apartments i have viewed and googled on line seem to have key build in kitchen appliances eg stoves, ovens. I am considering to ship my washing machine, dryer, microwave and TV(will it work from Singapore), No not shipping the fridge. Any advice apreciated. Thanks in advance