Help with cost of living

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with cost of living

Hi everyone,

I am a Singaporean who is going to work in Hong Kong soon, ETA 1 month. I have been to the country but as a tourist, thus I hope you guys/gals can shed some light on the questions I have stated below:

1) My housing has been taken cared of (so I was told), therefore the allowance given will be for food and transportation. My question is, excluding housing expenses, how much would I need per day for food and transportation? In Hong Kong dollars or US.

I will be living alone and usually not a fussy eater, so I just need a very average estimate of the living cost per day.

2) What are the sports facilities near Tsuen Wan, my place of stay?

I have only these questions for now, hopefully I can have more as the date get closer.

Thank you for your time in helping me out....

how much youu spend on food depends on what is your taste like. If you're referring to local places for food, a normal meal for 1 person would be from HK$22 for a Mac meal , HK$40 for local dishes to about HK$80 for a simple resturant .

Transport cost will depend on what is the transport ? Cab, MTR , Bus ?

And I'm also a Singaporean , just move to HK 2 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy:
    how much youu spend on food depends on what is your taste like. If you're referring to local places for food, a normal meal for 1 person would be from HK$22 for a Mac meal , HK$40 for local dishes to about HK$80 for a simple resturant .

Transport cost will depend on what is the transport ? Cab, MTR , Bus ?

And I'm also a Singaporean , just move to HK 2 months ago
    Hi Speedy,

I am new on this site. I may have an opportunity to work in HK as well. Am still awaiting the offer. But in the meantime, would like to do some research first.

Would you pls advise how much one would need to spend (on an incremental basis) on an average month in HK vs Singapore?

Someone HK fren who has worked a few years in Singapore told me that I should at least require an incremental SGD 2500-3000 per mth to put me on more 'equal' footing with current way of life in Singapore.

My case is a little more complicated as I will have to continue to finance my HDB flat here (maybe can rent it out) and then will also have to bring wife and baby over. So will become single-income family...

Would you be in a position to give me some advice? Thanks.

for foreigners, I don't expect them to go to regular restaurant, as they may not get used to the environment and the limited selection of food.

the only local restaurant that I see foreigners may try once or twice is fast food chain like Maxim group..as the environment is modern and clean.
    **Maxim group..about HK$28-35 per set lunch/dinner

I would tell you that you would expect HK$40 per lunch and $70 per dinner to get foods in a good environment/good quality, where you will feel comfortable to sit down, relax, and enjoy the people around you.

**I have been to Singapore last year for few days..
    Singapore is expensive to eat..

for Sport facilities, there are PHYSICAL gym nearby the area you will be staying

and there are also other "government" sports center for badminton, soccer, basketball, volleyball..(of course, you need to arrange with friends to do this)

hihi..!

I'm Singaporean but born in HK la..but have been stayin in Singapore for 15+ yrs..just came back 3 weeks ago to work..stayin at Tuen Mun now..but work at Shueng Wan.

Cost of transport depends on where u go actually..for reference, i take "estate" bus to work at Sheung Wan (Central area) costs about HK$32 (to&fro) or public bus (to&fro) hk$36..train will be a bit more ex...and if go to places like Mongkok also abt hk$10.70(per trip) from tuen mun centre or ferry pier...i think Bus is the most convenient form of transport in Tuen Mun..not sure where u'll stay..u can check out this website for more info abt cost of transport and how u wan to travel..

Bus: http://www.i-busnet.com/english/?PHP...3eb94ee5ad185f
    MTR: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/intro.html

Generally Tuen Mun's food are a bit cheaper..but it also depends on the area u're staying..I stay near the Tuen Mun Ferry Pier..the cost fo food there is reasonable..but will be a bit cheaper at Butterfly estate..

As i'm stayin alone, i'll buy dinner from nearby shops..a normal meal + soup abt hk$25...If you stay near the Town centre or Gold Coast area prob costs abit more..like 30-40 bucks..

and i've also been searchin for a decent gym ard this Area..only have Physical gym at Tuen Mun Town Centre..alternatively have a gym at "Ren Ai Tang" a bit further than town centre...

there's also swimmin pool at Tuen Mun..but very expensive..compared to Singapore public pool..(hk$20 weekend and hk$17 for weekday)

other than tt..still have badminton courts, tennis courts ard...

I jog along the pier nowadays..coz' think the gym is abit too ex here..maybe wait for promos then see how..hehe..

can PM me if u wan to know more... =)

Good luck!!

Last edited by wingzz; 21-06-2006 at 03:55 PM.

o..sorry, just saw how long ago it was posted...hehe..sorry~

Smile

Hi Wingzz,

Is your house rental high?
    I'm doing some research on the lodging expenses in HK.
    Seems like HK living standard are pretty high.
    I might have a job offer there as a purchaser coordinator. The company was asking for my expectated salary. Just wanna find out more about the cost of living before i commit anything to them.

Thanks

depends on wat u want and how u want it.
    living expenses and income level varies very very hugely in hk, much more than in sg. ppl can stay in a room at cost of 3000hkd or a house at 300,000hkd ... (monthly rental).

so list down your requirement then we can help u chop numbers

Hey irene,

wat freeier said it's true..and it also depends which area of HK u want to live in? like nearer to your office? then u'll save on transportation..but rental might be a bit more expensive...

but if u're going to be posted here..prob your company might have a accomodation budget for u to follow or somethin? then you'll find a place accordingly...

And again:

Monthly cost for a household of 2:

5,000 for food and household stuff
    2,000 for utilities
    7,000 for rent
    1,000 for transportation

add maybe another 1,000 for transport if you cross the harbour every day

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast