OK, I'm in - opinion/discussion thread (long)

Closed Thread

OK, I'm in - opinion/discussion thread (long)

Hi, this thread isn't about much, other than a hello, information gathering and making friends thread. Say hi if you want, volunteer information if you want, share stories if you want, let me know if you'd like to hang out.

Well I'm in, I've accepted a new role in my company that will have me in HK in January. Myself - mid thirties, living in London, from USA (Texas/NYC), single male, graduate degree.

I will spend about 3/4 of my time in HK and the rest in Tokyo.

I have no idea where I should live, my current commit is a grueling 45 minute tube ride so anything less will be an improvement

I like living in a quiet environment when not at work, I don't mind travelling to party - in NYC I lived in Hell's kitchen and in london i live in a mews block in a small house. I would prefer to not live in a high rise and ideally a small townhouse or a quadplex or something - amenitites like a gym and swimming pool are not too important - there is a gym at work that I will use. I would really like a place to put my big weber barbecue. Bringing 2 furry critters as well but they can stay inside mostly.

Ideally I'd like a garden duplex or something but I realize this is unlikely. I don't mind travelling to go out as taxis are sooo cheap in HK. My housing budget will probably be mid-high 5 figures if you a re going to give me recommendations.

I'm really only looking at HK Island as that's where everyone from work lives but not opposed to other views.

I like sports (soccer and bball, climbing and cycling + watersports) and history and the usual stuff - good food and the like. I like a good piss up as well as the next person.) Might get back into golf if it's practical. Oh, is it possible to ride horses? I like that too.

I don't think I want a full time DH but I would like someone to come by for a few hours every day if that's possible.

Any and all comments, suggestions, corrections and invitiations are appreciated.

PS I was in HK and Tokyo last week - HK was crazy fun and I can't wait to come.

Plenty of older flats with rooftops .... you'll be more than ok with that budget and within 30-45 minutes of central.

Send a PM to a user called homesweethome and see if she has anything suitable for you -- she works for a large estate agency and has helped a number of our members out.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to do some research on gohome.com.hk

thanks i will do that. OH yes Im coming 1-2 week in january.

Try Pokfulam. Some duplexes available around the Sasson Rd, Sandy Bay area. There's also a small riding stable with a tiny ring if you don't want to hike out to the NT area to get a horsey fix.

where is pokfulam?

Use this site to help get your bearings;
    http://www.ypmap.com/en/viewer.asp?m...ce=LocationMap

Left to right accross the island when facing toward Kowloon it goes;
    Pok Fu Lam, Kennedy Town, Sheung Wan, Central, Soho, Midlevels, Admiralty, WanChai, Causeway Bay with Happy Valley behind CWB. There are a lot more areas than this though.

Yes you can go horseriding but you must be no heavier than about 80kg which is not that heavy for a guy.
    http://www.hkjcridingschools.com/eng...ools_index.asp

ahh well im 6'2" so yeah im too heavy

Thanks for the map that is very helpful.

Can you swim in the water on the south side of HK or is ths water too polluted? (I really don't know - don't wnat to be insutling)

Plenty of people do. The water quality is monitored and the rating posted at the beach. It is largely determined by the wind direction and currents at the time. Shek O is a nice beach - I have never swum in the sea in HK but one day I was there and it looked fine to me - I'm from New Zealand so have quite high standards. We have a pool in our building and I swim there - a godsend in the heat of summer. Couldn't live without it.