If you had a choice: HK or Singapore ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Hi poogleypie

I would add my support to PDLM's post, everything in that was right on the money.

I did have the choice of living in any city in the world, and right now chose Hong Kong. I've been to Singapore several times. I'm happy with my choice of HK, I think HK is still a clear winner over Singapore but less of a winner than it was some years back.

I am assuming you don't speak Chinese. If you speak Mandarin that would probably make Singapore the winner for you.

Singapore is quite claustrophobic and very clean to the point of bordering on sterile. Hong Kong feels more like "anything is possible" which is a feeling I like. Lots to do here, and to me people seem more open and welcoming than in SG.

The big downside of HK is the air pollution. But you probably won't feel the effects on your skin for quite a few weeks after you arrive. I don't know how bad your breathing problems are, if they are very bad it may be a cause for concern. Personally I find it effects my skin not my breathing.

Do not get involved with illicit drugs in Singapore. Do not be in a room that has illicit drugs in it in Singapore. Period. If you find yourself in that situation, get out of the situation immediately, no matter what the consequences. There can be no consequences worse than being hanged from a noose until you are dead.

Cheers
    Andrew

Last edited by Andrew W Scott; 21-10-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poogleypie:
    I am a straight white female American. Is it an easier working environment in either for a young female professional?
    I hesitate to go here, but since you asked...

One thing that is hugely different between Singapore and Hong Kong is the self-confidence of the people, and particularly the women. I don't think I've ever met a Singaporean who wasn't hugely self-confident. This combined with the fact that, in my humble (straight male) opinion, Singapore has the highest ratio of good-looking women anywhere in the world (thank all those mixed up races), and most of them don't half know it, means that I can see that the workplace could be quite an intimidating environment for a western woman who was less than totally comfortable in herself. Hong Kong women are, (generalising hugely) one of the most shy and sexually repressed group of people in the world (I am astounded by the number of 30-40+ virgins I come across here); HK regularly comes at or near the bottom of the Durex survey on sexual activity.

On drugs, yes, they are, apparently, very easy to come by in Hong Kong - I know quite a number of people with a coke habit, and plenty who do the odd joint. But Singapore is by no means immune - they have had a number of high profile drugs busts in the last few years.
    Last edited by PDLM; 21-10-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Haha,

You are threading on very thin ice man.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

One thing that is hugely different between Singapore and Hong Kong is the self-confidence of the people, and particularly the women. I don't think I've ever met a Singaporean who wasn't hugely self-confident. This combined with the fact that, in my humble (straight male) opinion, Singapore has the highest ratio of good-looking women anywhere in the world (thank all those mixed up races), and most of them don't half know it, means that I can see that the workplace could be quite an intimidating environment for a western woman who was less than totally comfortable in herself. Hong Kong women are, (generalising hugely) one of the most shy and sexually repressed group of people in the world (I am astounded by the number of 30-40+ virgins I come across here); HK regularly comes at or near the bottom of the Durex survey on sexual activity.

On drugs, yes, they are, apparently, very easy to come by in Hong Kong - I know quite a number of people with a coke habit, and plenty who do the odd joint. But Singapore is by no means immune - they have had a number of high profile drugs busts in the last few years.

Andrew-

Well this is alarming indeed - it's one thing not to be able to breathe, but if it affects my skin, that's a whole other matter and much more serious. Do you get facials? Does that help? Are these strange questions to be asking a guy?

The open and welcoming aspect sounds nice - especially since I don't know people in either city. I have some MBA classmates (not friends) in HK, and one very close friend in Shanghai, but other than that, nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew W Scott:
    Hi poogleypie

I would add my support to PDLM's post, everything in that was right on the money.

I did have the choice of living in any city in the world, and right now chose Hong Kong. I've been to Singapore several times. I'm happy with my choice of HK, I think HK is still a clear winner over Singapore but less of a winner than it was some years back.

I am assuming you don't speak Chinese. If you speak Mandarin that would probably make Singapore the winner for you.

Singapore is quite claustrophobic and very clean to the point of bordering on sterile. Hong Kong feels more like "anything is possible" which is a feeling I like. Lots to do here, and to me people seem more open and welcoming than in SG.

The big downside of HK is the air pollution. But you probably won't feel the effects on your skin for quite a few weeks after you arrive. I don't know how bad your breathing problems are, if they are very bad it may be a cause for concern. Personally I find it effects my skin not my breathing.

Do not get involved with illicit drugs in Singapore. Do not be in a room that has illicit drugs in it in Singapore. Period. If you find yourself in that situation, get out of the situation immediately, no matter what the consequences. There can be no consequences worse than being hanged from a noose until you are dead.

Cheers
    Andrew

Thanks PDLM - don't hesitate at all - I'm all for candid opinions. I guess that's what the internet and anonymity are for. And lucky for me, I am totally comfortable with myself.

I'm assuming that durex survery included all of HK - wouldn't the expat community be having a little more fun?

Re the drugs...I was really just referring to recreational habits, not trafficking or anything. I've been working in banking in London for the past three years, and while I've heard a lot about coke habits, I never got into that scene. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm looking for a fun expat experience, and wanted some assurance that there are like-minded folks.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

Thanks Nina - what kind of effects do you feel from the pollution? Skin or breathing or both? Do those air purifying machines help?

Quote Originally Posted by nina_70:
    It's a tough choice. I'm more of a HK girl myself, but I've lived in both places in my time. Here's some of pro's and con's

HK - Pro's - Bigger than Singapore and has more "outdoor" activities
    in my mind. Large park-areas, mountains, sailing, windsurfing.
    I do a ton of hiking so I really enjoy that and there's
    plenty of places to walk the doggie.
    Don't know too much about horse-riding scene. I used to
    take lessons at Pokfulam Riding Club as a child, but don't
    know if there's any big outdoor clubs...maybe in NT.
    Night-life is fantastic & lots & lots of expat activities
    and things. Very nice theatre scene...many community
    theatre clubs, plus HKAPA, and Fringe Club.
    Cons - probably the biggest one that gets me is the
    air quality is not that good. Also, housing is expensive
    and you'll probably live in a flat, not house with your doggie.

Singapore - Pro's - Cheaper than HK for housing so you could
    probably get a house with garden for your dog which you
    probably can't in HK. Cleaner air than HK. Decent night-life
    (although I think HK is more "hopping"). Can't comment
    on theatre since I don't know, but it's pretty cosmopolitan
    so it probably has some decent stuff going on. I know
    they have horse-riding clubs, but I went a long, long time
    ago and don't know what the condition is now. There's
    plenty of expats just like HK.
    Con's - Small, small, small....and flat as a pancake. If you're
    big into hiking and outdoors you might feel claustrophobic.

Hope that helps...you may need to take a trip both places to
    get a feel for it.

These are strange questions to be asking most guys, but not me. Yes I get a facial every four weeks. But I have only been in Hong Kong seven weeks so far (moved from Australia), so have only had one facial, which I didn't particularly like, so I am shopping around now for a new place to try for my next facial next week.

I have also been told my several people that this is a particularly bad time of the year for skin which is why quite a few people are breaking out a bit. Don't get me wrong I'm not a zit covered monster but I'm normally used to getting no marks on my skin at all. The reality probably is that it's partially the air and partially the time of year.

There are lots of places to have fun in HK and lots of people wanting to have fun. You will have no problem if you want to enjoy yourself. There are people to go out drinking with every single night (and I mean every single night). When I came here seven weeks ago I basically knew no-one and it took no time at all to hook up with a bunch of drinking and partying buddies, some local and some expat. I think the fact that not so long ago other people were in the same boat as you helps, people really are very ready to meet new people.

There are lots of great restaurants, plenty of spa/beauty type places, lots of gyms, its all here. I highly recommend it.

Singapore has those things too, I just think here is a bit more fun.

Maybe my skin is still adjusting to Hong Kong, and will settle down after a while. Who knows?

One things I should say, and this will probably get me into trouble, is that there is a lot of superficiality in both towns, especially in the higher end income earning bracket. If anything, it is probably slightly worse in SG than in HK.

Ciao
    Andrew

About the PR of Singapore, as I know, once someone gets the PR, he/she cannot be a PR of any other countries. That's why when I was in a bank showing a banker my 3 passports. She was like "what? you have 3 passports?", like I did sth illegal. Then she explained it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by poogleypie:
    Thanks Nina - what kind of effects do you feel from the pollution? Skin or breathing or both? Do those air purifying machines help?
    It's both. I do allot of outdoor activity (esp. hiking) and I do feel the air quality when it's bad. Also, it's hard to get motivated to go outside when the smog is thick. I just spent a month in S.France in crystal pure air and I could definitely feel the difference when I came back to HK. It's not an everyday occurance, and there are nice days inbetween, but you do feel it when it's thick.

On skin side, it depends how sensitive your skin is. I do get a slight rash now and then, but generally my skin is OK as long as I clean it regularly. I do know other people who have problems, however.

I haven't tried air purifiers so can't comment too much on that.
    Last edited by nina_70; 22-10-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kally:
    About the PR of Singapore, as I know, once someone gets the PR, he/she cannot be a PR of any other countries. That's why when I was in a bank showing a banker my 3 passports. She was like "what? you have 3 passports?", like I did sth illegal. Then she explained it to me.
    You're confusing Permanent Residence and Citizenship. Unlike many other places, Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, so if you take Singapore Citizenship you have to give up all others. Permanent Residence just gives you the right to live and work there, but it doesn't give you a Singapore passport. Similarly, I have Permanent Residence in HK so I don't need an Employment Visa, but I am a British Citizen, not a Chinese/HK one, and my only passport is a British one.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast