Possible move to HK, few general questions....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Possible move to HK, few general questions....

Hi all,

I'm having a job dangled in front of me in HK, and I'm inclined to take it, but my girlfriend is a little tentative as of course it's a fairly big upheaval. Would likely only be in HK for 1-2 years so not permanent.

I would get a visa obviously, my girlfriend is an NHS qualified children's nurse, would she have any problems getting a visa/work? She is looking into this independently of course, just wondered if anyone in healthcare has any advice.

The work will be in Shatin, coming from a pretty expensive part of London, the rental prices don't look too bad. Is Shatin a nice spot?

All a bit vague, but the opportunity has come up quite short notice and I'd potentially need to make a decision quite soon! Just looking out for any potential pitfalls...major concern being my girlfriend's working status....

Thanks!

At the end of the day there will always be pitfalls and there are many of them in HK (though for me they outweigh what is on offer back home). You will have to work out if there are more here than in the UK. Remember it's asia (sorry that may seem condesending but it has to be said) and different back home. Though HK is such an easy place for foreigners you can get nearly everything to keep you from missing home.

One of the biggest (for most of expats) is tax. You will be FAR better off in HK with low taxes (10%) no 20% VAT and of course, lower living expenses and rents etc.

Shatin is OK, but it's not the main city but you will get everything you need there (and pay less I might add) than other areas. It's far cheaper for rent in and around Shatin than HK island. Best bet is to get here, rent a serviced apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks and look around. You should be able to negotiate something in your package to do this.

Your girlfriend should not have a problem finding work in the health industry, though i can't help where to point you in the right direction.

Shatin is a nice place but out of town by HK standards (i.e. 30-45 mins into smack the center)

Nurses need special qualifications to work in HK, so forget that route. Better to look at being an english teacher...

What is Shatin like? Lots of tall residential tower blocks. Mainly middle class Chinese live there. Has quite a good range of restaurants and some bars, but many westerners would find themselves heading into Central at weekends. Lots of country parks nearby, and good rail and road connections.

As to your girlfriend, I think getting the HK nurse qualifications might be the problem. If you married her, she would have a dependent visa and could work for anyone without a problem.

Hmm, shame about the nurse qualification part, will let her look into it though. I've been told she could come from the UK on a six month non-working visa, leave the country after those six months and return for another six? Obviously she would rather work as life could get very boring! She will need to come back to the UK for a few weeks a year and work to keep her UK nursing 'certification' alive anyway.

Could she come out on a non-working visa, and find work/gain working visa while out there? English teacher would probably do as she has plenty of experience working with kids. Thanks again...

Yes she would have to find work outside of nursing, as besides what others have already said from what I've heard from a Nurse from the UK that ended up in Macau working as a nurse, is that you need to speak Cantonese at least.

Might be best for her if she could find a job before she left the UK for HK as she will have to leave HK for the UK (home country) if she finds a job while here, to await her work visa. Far as I knw.

Of course you don't have to live in Shatin just because you work there. It is accessible from HK island albeit a bit of a commute (half an hour on the MTR from Central) and you're close to Saikung which is a really nice place to live - more like the countryside; lots of greenery and space. If your girlfriend doesn't end up being able to work, she'd probably be happier somewhere other than Shatin (just my opinion).

I would definitely come out if I were you - if for no other reasons than just for the experience and to have Asia on your doorstep for a couple of years (great travel opportunities). It's a great place. You've got the rest of your life to live in the UK.

Last edited by Liquorice; 01-09-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101:
    Might be best for her if she could find a job before she left the UK for HK as she will have to leave HK for the UK (home country) if she finds a job while here, to await her work visa. Far as I knw.
    This isn't true. She would simply need to leave Hong Kong and re-enter (normally done by simply going to Macau) in order to activate her Employment Visa when it is granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101:
    Not sure that this is right is it? You just have to leave HK don't you - if that even...?

Oops I thought you had to go to your home country. The maid we took on after she left her previous job while here had to do that and it was quite a long wait

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast