Cash to HK

Cash to HK

Dear all,

I am new here in this forum. I will move to HK soon and I would like to close down all my accounts here in Europe. I don't have an account in Hong Kong yet. Therefore I plan to take all my money with me in cash. Is it correct that I can import an unlimited amount of money into Hong Kong? It would be Euros.

Thanks.

Yes you can. Whether this would be wise or not is another matter.

Ditto the comments on whether it is wise. Not sure if you want to be walking around with scads of money. You can bring a bank cashiers check or even keep the Euro account open and do a wire once you arrive.

Moving2HK, you should be able to open a Hong Kong based account with HSBC from most major European Cities from what other members have said. Also, all the major European banks have operations here in HK and should also be able to assist in opening a HK based account.

Best to see if you can open an account before you move and transfer the funds into it, to ensure that you have easy access to your funds as soon as you land.

HSBC and many other banks can and often delay / hold or put liens on first deposits if they're done using overseas checks.

Moving2HK you are probably better off getting travellers cheques for when you first arrive, that is what I did. I got them at the HSBC in the UK with no charges if you get them in US$ and then no charges here to cash them at the HSBC if you are a customer.