Advice on Moving from Australia

Closed Thread

Advice on Moving from Australia

Hello,
    I will be moving with my partner to Hong Kong to live for several years in July 07. I will be working in the Braemar Hill area which I think is located in the Northpoint- Quarry Bay region. I would like some advice on where to live and how easy it is to get to my workplace by transport to the Braemar Hill area. I had a look at a great apartment (one bed) located on Old Bailey St in Central, rent is 14 000 HKD a month. Is this a good rent to pay? The photos look great and it is furnished nicely and is all inclusive. Is this area ok for me to get to Braemar Hill?

I would apprec any help and advice!
    Jaq71.

The strong advice here is always to get a serviced apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks at least when you arrive and not to try to rent apartments from a distance.

By the way, (assuming you will be coming on an employment visa) you are aware that "partners" can't get visas entitling them to reside in HK simply because they are your partner?

Many thanks for your reply.
    I think he will be getting a work visa from an English Language school as he is qualified in TESOL. I think he can get a work visa on his own merits- job sponsership, but we need to look into it.
    Thanks again.

There's one bus (number 25) that goes from Central to Braemar Hill but it takes ages esp in rush hour and headway can be 30 mins sometimes.

http://www.citybus.com.hk/eng/RouSer...routenumber=25

A better way is to MTR it to Causeway Bay then get the minibus (also 25) up. Lots of teachers do that, and there's a Starbucks at the bustop if in need. The minibus is only 10 minutes and plenty of them but can be a long queue. The MTR to CB is probably 10 minutes too.

Another option is to get the MTR to Tin Hau and get minibus 49M, or to Northpoint and get Citybus 529 or 27.

You could also consider CB itself as there is also Citybus 25C and 25A and I think 25B that all go from there. If you are pushed to get to school on time, you can stand on Citybuses but you can't on the Minibuses.

Tin Hau itself is quite okay too and adjacent to Victoria Park.

Plenty of teachers taxi share to the MTR after school and the fare is at most HK$20. That's about $A4.

It is also a pleasant 20 minute walk down the hill to the MTR - but not in summer.

PM me if you have any q's.

Last edited by hottie; 08-01-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Thank you. That is really helpful.
    Jaq71.