Jobs for non-university graduate?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jobs for non-university graduate?

Hi, I have a potential job offer in HK as a doctor and will be able to get a visa. This job would not be permanent, likely 1-2 years only. My boyfriend plans to move with me from USA but does not have much qualifications. He did not go to university, and has no special talents. He has gone to culinary school which is a 1 year program, not a degree. From what it seems, to teach English you need to have a university degree. Are there other job options or ways in which he can get a visa to come with me?

easiest way is for him to marry you, without no degree, chances via qmas or work visa is quite slim.

Agreed - marry him and get him a dependant visa. I don't see any other option assuming he is a USA citizen.

*smile*
    I wonder if *HE* will marry the good doctor when he finds out that she describes him as "has no special talents" in public forums....
    *giggle*

Yes indeed - why bring him over? There are lots more fish in the sea here (with talents and visas) ...

Well, he could go to university - evening programs at OpenU, language courses at CUHK, or even regular undergrad programs all come with a student visa. You might need to support him financially, though, as he won't be allowed to work...

I meant no offense to him by saying he ha no special talents, just that he has not gone and finished a university degree and I cannot think of any other way in which we could get him a work visa. Do all English teaching jobs require a degree? We are considering having him take university classes to get a student visa, but are any courses taught in english?
    On a dependent visa, what is he able to do? Is he allowed to work anywhere would like? Thanks everyone!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Not all teaching jobs require an university degree. He can try tutoring centres.

he needs minimium a tefl cert

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    he needs minimium a tefl cert
    Yup and some appropiate coaching/training experience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast