Bed size?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bed size?

Hi,

I am moving to HK in March from Australia. I have a double sized mattress and was planning on having it shipped over, as I have a bad back and it is hard for me to find a good bed that is comfortable for me (plus it is less than a year old and wasn't cheap!).

However, I've been told that a "HK double" sized bed is smaller than an Australian one, and therefore I won't be able to find a bed frame for it that fits. Is this true? Any advice?

M

I have questions about this too. I've had a look at the IKEA HK catalogue and I've noticed that they don't seem to sell many queen sized beds or bedding, but that they do have some king. Is queen rare in HK? Is king the same size as in Australia, or is it smaller?

Thanks!

in my experience Ikea has their own sizing system. Take a look at Pricerite.com.hk - similar price or cheaper than Ikea. If you register with the site then you can see the prices.

Bedrooms in HK apts are often only big enough to fit the bed and nothing more but if it is a standard double you should be ok with that just don't expect much room to move around.

king sized

I would just look at the measurment and ignore wether it is 'king', 'queen' or 'double' Ikea do have their own sizing system as larac said . I had an ikea bed frame and only ikea sold the right size matress.......but also what my husband bought as a 'double' in Switzerland was a 'queen' in the uk so I am no idea what it would be here..... you can't go wrong with cm or inches !! when we bought a new bed and spent a decent amount on the matress we just got 6ft by 6ft and that is now all i need to know !!!
    If you struggle with finding bedding you can have stuff made to size in Shenzen very cheaply.

I just tried to by (what i Know in UK) a DOUBLE bed. The so-called Double beds in Hk are a hell lot smaller than the double beds in uk...I don't know if this this he case for other countries?

1 - What you would need to do before buying a bed frame for your imported matress is to measure the bed with Inches or foot. Write this down and give those measurments to the sales assistant to get the best fit.

2 - I've been to one furniture shop that makes tailor made bed frames and the waiting time (at that point) was 1 month for my bed to be ade and delivered. So if you dont have that time to hang around for it, the best option is the first one.

you would want to but it right (the bed frame) the first time round as most products you buy over here are non refundable, even if unused.

I bought a UK queen sized bed frame at Ikea and brought it back to the states. I threw on a US queen sized mattress and oops--the frame was about 6 inches too short. The width was fine, but the length was a bit different.

Measure your mattress and then go looking for something to fit. Worse comes to worse, you can have a custom made bed frame for pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    I bought a UK queen sized bed frame at Ikea and brought it back to the states. I threw on a US queen sized mattress and oops--the frame was about 6 inches too short. The width was fine, but the length was a bit different.

Measure your mattress and then go looking for something to fit. Worse comes to worse, you can have a custom made bed frame for pretty cheap.
    Hmm, that may be because Ikea have their own sizes of measuring things which do not conform to the industry standard.

We brought our Sleep Number bed with us from the US and haven't bothered to find a frame -- we just sleep with the mattress on the floor. It's been a perfectly comfortable solution for us.

On the other hand, it is a king, and I can barely walk from one side of the bed to the other, what with the eight inches of clearance between the foot of the bed and the wall. I think it's easier to get around *without* a frame than it would be with a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Hmm, that may be because Ikea have their own sizes of measuring things which do not conform to the industry standard.
    Actually I heard it is because Hong Kong has two sizes of Queen, a normal Queen and a 'reduced' size. Not sure--it was posted here when I raised this issue previously. The US version of the exact same bed frame fits fine.

Thanks for everyone's posts. My double here is about 191cm x 138cm.

On the Pricerite website, mattresses are simply listed as 54, 60, 66 and 72 inches. Unfortunately 191 inches equals about 75 inches!

On a few hotel sites, I see double bed sizes listed as 183cm x 122cm.

I can't seem to get into the Ikea HK online catalogue. I think I saw someone in another thread mention that HK double is about 189cm x 136cm, which seems close enough, but I will definitely measure actual frame before getting it in HK.

Despite the above, I think I will ship my mattress over as I got a good quote for all my excess baggage from Luggageline, a place recommended in another of these forum threads. If worse comes to worse, as mentioned by someone earlier, I guess I can sleep with the mattress on the floor for a while before getting a custom built frame if needed (or even indefinitely?)!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast