Like Tree11Likes

Moving family to HK from UK - any info gratefully received

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Only HK$113,500 per month? I expect you'll starve to death rather quickly or freeze living on the streets. How can you earn that kind of money and be stupid enough to ask that kind of question?
    Ouch, a little harsh - the OP was wondering if what they will be earning will be enough. You have to factor what their standard of living is in the UK compared to what it will be here in HK. We get a housing allowance and my husband makes a substantial amount of money but I wouldn't say that our standard of living has improved a lot. Our apartment is so much smaller than our home back in the US, and we spend triple the amount of money on food than we did back home. It's been a trade-off for us but the BIGGEST improvement for us has been the luxury of having a helper. I would never have been able to afford one while living in the US. I have to say that I am actually NOT looking forward to the day I have to return because I have been spoiled by my helper!

We chose to live in a high-rise apartment in the city as opposed to DB. We lived in a wonderful neighborhood in the suburbs at home and we wanted something completely different and is why we live where we do. However, if we should end up staying longer than our original two year contract, I definitely would consider moving to Discovery Bay!
    Molie likes this.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted here, lots of very helpful input that underlines a few things:
    - there is no perfect place to live
    - as with everything in life, there is a trade off between how much you want to spend and the incremental improvements in all of the factors that are important
    - it certainly ain't Kansas (or East London)

My wife and I nearly moved to HK before our first son was born. It was her job that wa going to take us out there, but we were much more happy-go-lucky and didnt really think about any of the things that we are now. We have both back packed across all of Asia (and India for me too). I didnt want to move to Singapore as it just felt a bit sterile. So maybe DB may be a bit too calm for us.

Guess we need to get out for a visit and remind ourselves of it all.

Thanks again

Don't forget that tax is a great consideration when coming to HK. You will pay way less than the UK. Also your employer should be able to 'suggest' what to do with tax (though it really up to you as most will say). An important consideration is to have your rental amount included into your contract. This will reduce your tax payment a bit further by a few percentage points or more.

You may already know that but just a thought.

Oh, if you don't have to sell for financial reasons I wouldn't sell up in the UK. Always good to have something to go back to if needed.

Last edited by virago; 02-12-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    ab9tgb likes this.

Thanks virago. I have posted separetly on tax "http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/175/thread172349.html" (is a link - doesnt show clearly on my post I though) and very keen to learn more where possible if you would be so kind to scan what I think its the status quo

Hello Carang
    Your posting goes a few years back but I am wonderig if you could give me tips on play groups / kindergartens in Sai Kung? In one of your postings here you mentioned that you applied for a grant for schooling - is it only for HK residents? Where can I find some info, please? Thanks a lot!

it's called the "pre-primary school voucher". if you have a hkid, then you are eligible. you can ONLY use it at certain kindergartens. the one my kids go to, Sai Kung Lok Yuk Kindergarten, is the white one on the main road, with rainbow stripes around the bottom of the wall. both of my kids are very happy there. the fees for 1/2 with the voucher are $0!

Hi my pachake and details are very similar.. so had a pretty simple question.. if I was to assume that I would spend 30k on housing.. 10k on school fees...and around 30k on food, groceries etc.. would my assumptions be correct?

your assumption of what exactly?

you could spend $30k on housing, you can also spend less. schooling can cost upto $10k/month, but if your child is young enough, then maybe a local school would be suitable? in which case, it would be nothing...

as for "spending money"... i can only dream of having $30k/month for that...

really, if you use the SEARCH function, you will see that people have answered these questions about 10 times/week. there are numerous threads with various cost breakdowns that you might find useful.... you just have to look for them!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    your assumption of what exactly?

you could spend $30k on housing, you can also spend less. schooling can cost upto $10k/month, but if your child is young enough, then maybe a local school would be suitable? in which case, it would be nothing...

as for "spending money"... i can only dream of having $30k/month for that...

really, if you use the SEARCH function, you will see that people have answered these questions about 10 times/week. there are numerous threads with various cost breakdowns that you might find useful.... you just have to look for them!

One more question..wha are the kind of apartments that we get for 30K in DB or Tung Chung..are these fully furnished or do we need to bring our own furniture??

most flats in hk are not furnished except with some kitchen appliances (fridge, cooker (NO oven), washing machine).

you don't have to "bring" your furniture... we do have furniture shops in hk...