Hong Kong ID and china Visa??? please help!

Reply
  1. #1

    Hong Kong ID and china Visa??? please help!

    Hello,
    I currently hold a Hong Kong Citizenship ID (Smart ID) and a Canadian Password. Next year, I'll be going back to China to look for employment. What kind of documents do I need (Visa , work permit,etc)??

    I heard there is a thing call "returning motherland Card" for HK citizen?? but dose that allow me to get employment or just mainly for visit??

    or should I get a China Visa here in Canada , then when I arrive, apply for a Z visa???

    I'm a bit clueless here, please point me to the right direction.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by showmanshow:
    Hello,
    I currently hold a Hong Kong Citizenship ID (Smart ID) and a Canadian Password. Next year, I'll be going back to China to look for employment. What kind of documents do I need (Visa , work permit,etc)??

    I heard there is a thing call "returning motherland Card" for HK citizen?? but dose that allow me to get employment or just mainly for visit??

    or should I get a China Visa here in Canada , then when I arrive, apply for a Z visa???

    I'm a bit clueless here, please point me to the right direction.
    the current ID card you have is probably not a permanent ID card unless you were born in HK.

    I believe you should get a china visa in canada.
    Contact your local embassy for more information.

    Here are the addresses and contact info.
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/embassy.htm

  3. #3
    the current ID card you have is probably not a permanent ID card unless you were born in HK.
    I was born in HK and I think the card is permanent (it has 3 stars) so what should I do in this case??


    also I tried calling the numbers on the website you send me.. but the operator always say the line is busy and to try again later. I also tried emailing them, but they never reply me back..

    Thats why I came here to ask the questions.. I hope someone here can help me out.
    Last edited by showmanshow; 06-02-2007 at 12:20 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by showmanshow:
    I was born in HK and I think the card is permanent (it has 3 stars) so what should I do in this case??


    also I tried calling the numbers on the website you send me.. but the operator always say the line is busy and to try again later. I also tried emailing them, but they never reply me back..

    Thats why I came here to ask the questions.. I hope someone here can help me out.
    That's easy then. If you are HK permanent resident (3 stars), then you can get a 'return to china' card. The process will take a few days. (give yourself a week after your arrival).

    You can either get a temporary one or multi year one.

    There is nothing you need to do (or can do) when you are in canada. as far as i know...

    So do bring your HK id card w/ u when you come back to HK. If you have not got your new HK ID card. (smartcard) you will need to apply for that also. (in HK)

    When you are in HK, you are HK resident. Do not claim you are canadian. It would not help or do any good. (if I am wrong about this, others please correct me. I believe this is true based on my experience coming from US)

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    41
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_hktd.htm
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hktraveldoc_2.htm


    Here is some detail on 'Re-entry permit'.

    Q3: How to apply for a HKSAR Re-entry Permit (R/P)?

    A3: HKSAR R/Ps are issued to the following Hong Kong residents for travel to the mainland of China and Macau Special Administrative Region:
    Chinese citizens who have either acquired the right of abode or been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong; and
    Persons not of Chinese nationality who have been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong but cannot obtain national passports or travel documents of any other countries or regions.
    Application for HKSAR R/P should be submitted in person at Immigration Branch Offices. [For details, please click here.] You may book an appointment through the interactive voice response system or the internet for submitting your application at one of the Immigration Offices. Tel: 2598 0888 Website: www.esd.gov.hk/

  6. #6

    but the " 'return to china' card allow me to work in china? or do I need to get another working permit??

    also Can I apply it online?? since I dont think i have time to stop by HK


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,207

    No it does not allow you to be employed in China. Employment Visas (in China or HK) are linked to specific jobs - you can't get a generic "employment visa" and then look for work.

    (I don't think there are exceptions for HK ***s in China - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)


  8. #8

    so if I want to seek employments within CHina with my current status , how should I approach this?? Z visa?? work permit??


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    HK physically, England spiritually
    Posts
    237

    Is there a guy waiting at the border in Canada asking everyone what the password is before he'll let them in?


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyC:
    Is there a guy waiting at the border in Canada asking everyone what the password is before he'll let them in?
    yes there is, and it is very frustrating if you forget it or they change it.