potentially moving to Hong Kong in February - could use some advice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

potentially moving to Hong Kong in February - could use some advice

Hi All

Have read through quite a few posts here and found them really useful.
    I found some basic information about electricity bills and rents and stuff, so this is great.
    Couldn't find however any info on the following:
    how much water and gas bills are roughly for a studio flat in Hong Kong?
    How much the Octopus card costs for a monthly travelcard type of thing? (I tried to get on the metro's official site but somehow couldn't get the actual amount)
    Which agencies would you guys recommend for renting a flat?

Thanks to all who will answer in advance

There isn't a travel card option on the MTR.

Cost will depend on if you need to cross the harbour or not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Water bills for one person in a studio flat will average less than HK$50 per month. Gas bills will depend on how much cooking you do with it, but probably around HK$100-150 per month. There are, in general no monthly options on travel (with a few very specific exceptions). But for 50 journeys a month (your commute to and from work) it would be quite unusual for the cost to be over HK$2000 per month, and it could easily be as low as $500 if you simply make a shortish MTR or bus journey that doesn't cross the harbour. Estate agencies are generally very area specific - just find one when walking the streets of the areas you are interested in. Studio flats are quite rare, by the way.

With gas hot water, and normally cooking at least once a day, my gas bill hasn't yet topped HKD100 for 2 months (the regular billing period).
    My water bill hasn't gone over $20 per billing period.
    After living here for a year (1 bedroom flat, single person occupancy) I still haven't had to pay an electricity bell as the initial deposit has covered it so far.

there is a monthly travelcard for the East Rail and West Rail

Thanks to everyone who replied, really appreciated. I got the Oyster card/Octopus card idea - basically they have more of a pay as you go system than a travel card/week/month system...
    I also understand now that gas and water are not such major items in one's budget per month (or two months)

Now it looks like the move is more confirmed than the last time was. So the amount of questions in my head are just increasing:
    - can anyone give me a rough idea about furniture and household appliances costs? (my company is offering me a limit of £500 in total I can spend on this and I need to know if this is ok or laughable. I have read and seen that most of the flats are unfurnished so probably I will have to start from scratch...
    - everyone is talking about the favourable tax rate in Hong Kong if you are on Hong Kong payroll. Are there any other deductions from salaries (like NHS or Retirement system or whatever extra deductions government does)?
    - do you guys know anything about MassMutual, who I will have insurance with - does this work like BUPA and I can claim a certain amount each year for seeing private doctors or how does the GP system work over there?

Chingleutsch - can I ask which electricity provider are you using for which you still haven't received an electricity bill as the deposit covered it? My company is paying for utility bill deposits, so I might go with a provider who asks for higher deposit and I can just use units from it...

thanks to all again for all replies

hmmmm... i've NEVER had my bill charges "deducted" from an electricity bill....and they hold about $10k in deposit from me....

i think you have something wrong there....

as for "choosing" an electricity provider, you don't have a choice. it is either HK Electric or CLP... they serve different areas so there is no choice to be had.

L500 (sorry, no "pounds" sign on my computer...at least that i can find at 2:26am) will not likely cover all of your furnishing expenses, unless you have wardrobes already built-in.

MPF is deducted by the employer. it is 5% from employee, up to a maximum of $1000/month and is matched by the employer. if you relocate back to your home country, you are able to make a one-off withdrawl and take the $ home....however, if you ever come back to HK to work, that money is socked away until you are 65, no getting it out again.

sorry, no idea about insurance as i've never had any and just make use of private GPs for run of the mill problems and the local hospital system for pregnancies and more complicated issues requiring long-term daily meds (wayyyyyy too expensive to buy privately!)

note that carang has an extremely high electricity bill (burns enough coal to run a small country!) that's why the deposit is so high.

For a small apartment like mine electricity (depending on aircon use) will vary widely. In peak season I spent $500 for two months but then another month it was $800 as I had aircon on most evenings till morning.

500 pounds for furniture is laughable too. It should at least get you a bed to sleep on and maybe some sheets and a pillow.

yes, the electric bill for our home is EXTREMELY high. but for my small playgroup centre, it is more "normal" and runs the same as virago's. they still DO NOT deduct the usage from the deposit, though as someone else said.

Well, I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong, but so far every CLP bill I have received shows an amount deducted from the deposit (under $10 left now!), and $0.00 payable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast