Hello to everyone! Moving to HK end of January

Closed Thread

Hello to everyone! Moving to HK end of January

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are moving from San Francisco at the end of January. This is my first post, but I've been lurking about the site and getting alot good information to help us prepare for moving to and living in HK.

I just a have a few questions that I haven't found answers for after searching the forums; I hope someone can help with some feedback!

1. Light fixtures. Our new apartment doesn't have any light fixtures and we would really like to bring some from the US as part of our relocation. Has anyone done this before and are there people who can rewire light fixtures to accommodate the different voltage? Is that even necessary? Also, do light bulbs from the US work in Hong Kong? *Yes, I know these are odd questions...I have gotten most of my non-odd questions answered by checking previous forum discussions.

2. I will be working full-time, am in my early 30's and we don't have children yet. It seems like many expat women around my age are stay-at-home moms, and activities are planned during daytime hours. Are there get-togethers for women after work hours?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks again!

1. Light fixtures will work if they don't contain electronics, and probably won't if they do. Light bulbs will not work if they are designed for 110V. However, light bulbs for US style fittings (Edison screw) are widely available here, as are light fittings.

2. I'm sure there are; I guess you could start by checking out the AWA (although a lot of their stuff seems to be for the stay-at-homes).

British Chamber of Commerce has a women in business section with get togethers held at lunchtimes and evenings. Open to all, you don't need to be a member, or British (men aren't banned but tend not to attend!). Many women of a similar age to you there and you will find everyone very friendly.

There are similar groups such as Women Business Owners Club and other chambers of commerce may have get togethers aimed at women as well, though I have only attended the British Chamber ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    1. Light fixtures will work if they don't contain electronics, and probably won't if they do. Light bulbs will not work if they are designed for 110V. However, light bulbs for US style fittings (Edison screw) are widely available here, as are light fittings.

2. I'm sure there are; I guess you could start by checking out the AWA (although a lot of their stuff seems to be for the stay-at-homes).

Thanks PDLM, I have checked out the AWA and am going to go for it. Going to arrive in HK on 13/01 and am going to get out there and meet new people at their Volunteer orientation morning on Tues 18th Jan 1000-1300.

https://awa.org.hk/events_detail.php?eid=240550

If anyone wants to meet and go together please PM me!

Thanks for the tips, everyone! PDLM, the AWA sounds like a perfect first place to get started, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

I am sorry if this seems dumb to ask, but if the light bulb is 120v, does it make a difference? Would it be possible to use in Hong Kong? I have the retro style Edison bulbs with Edison screws and would love to use it here in HK...

Thank you in advance!