Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Oh...and to give you a reference point: I come from a village in Austria close to the alps...so for me the standard should be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    I am only here for a bit over a month and I found the pollution to be no problem either for me nor for my family so far.

The only time it bothers me is on a busy street with the buses blowing the exhaust in your face.

If i stayed in Bejing I would feel it in a day or two. In Shanghai after a week. So far Hongkong is fine.

My personal opinion with no study to back it up is, that if you live on a higher floor it should be better than on the ground floor on a busy street.
    it seems you missed most of the smog from the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    I am only here for a bit over a month and I found the pollution to be no problem either for me nor for my family so far.
    Just wait a few weeks...

You are here during one of the two periods of relatively 'good' air we have per year, the Spring and the Fall. In the Summer we generally have ok air, but we have instances when typhoons off the coast of Taiwan will cause a pocket of air to hang over the city for many days. It can get pretty bad for those days when the air is just stuck.

But the worse is about to come. When the winter winds shift and blow down from China, you'll get all the factory soot and pollution coming over the city on a daily basis. During the Summer the winds blow in from the Philippines blowing the air back into China, but in just a few weeks the wind will shift and the entire region, from New Territories to the Islands to the South Side will be well above the healthy limits.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11