Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I think the IQs can be quite expensive. I have the Alen brand filters in my house which are also rated pretty good but didn't break the bank. I got three for about $13,000. I've seen some individual IQs that were as big as a mini-fridge and were around $20,000.

I would not recommend coming here with a baby or youngster.
    Pollution has significantly increased over the years and personally I don't believe it will change to the better soon.

areas in HK where pollution is not as bad

Quote Originally Posted by cosimo01:
    Hello,
    My husband and I are going to move from Munich, Germany to HK in late May/beginning June. We will then have a 3 month old baby.
    My husband is going to work in Central and I always loved to live in walking distance to everything so our initial thought was to find an apartment in Central. But coming from a rather clean and healthy environment our biggest concern is the terrible pollution in HK and the effects it could have on our baby.
    Are there any areas in HK where pollution is not as bad? In which months pollution is the worst?
    Thanks for your help!!
    Hi cosimo01,
    we are going to move with two kids from Hamburg to Hong Kong in Aug and wondering where you decided to settle?

Mid levels is disguisting polluted these days. I would suggest repulse bay if u can afford it. Otherwise consider Sai kung or db or park island.

Quote Originally Posted by pumi23:
    about how much are those IQAir Purifiers? I checked their website but no information available. Thinking of buying one for the home and one for the office. Ours current ones are not good enough.
    They didn't reveal the price for a good reason. I walked into their 'store' before in this broken old building first 2 months i came to HK last year.

I once discussed this with a poster with 1 post. He was telling others he was about to get a discounted 'deal' though purchasing 10 IQAir here in Hong Kong and asked who wants to also purchase it.

I told him the dealer here in Hong Kong overpriced the filter from the original $800USD to $11,000HKD-12,000HKD. Then gave him info about purchasing directly from the US to save money. 1 hour later, the thread was deleted. I suspect the poster pretends to be a customer but was really a dealer him/herself and thread was requested to be deleted because I revealed the local dealer at North Point was ripping others off.

You'd do everyone a favor by not purchasing through the local dealer.

As far as irritant/allergen goes, I was one of those very-pollution-sensitive person. I never took action to purchase any HEPA filter machines. But this inaction had me solved the issue in a way i didn't expect.

If you feel eye itching, sneezing, or coughing because of irritant / allergen in Hong Kong, just flip on your air conditioner and you'll be calm and good within 15 minutes. I was very surprised this was a viable solution. I'm confident it'll work for you because I was in the worst shape anyone can possibly experience, so it was very telling it helped. Only thing difficult for me to cope with was the constant dodging from smokers when walking outside.
    Last edited by Creative83; 25-04-2011 at 01:12 AM.

I wouldn't buy one of those air purifiers, they are all a load of crap. There was a test a couple of weeks back which found that all of the brands greatly exaggerate there effectiveness with the worst one only being able to effectively clean 0.6 sqm.

http://www.consumer.org.hk/website/i.../p414/full.pdf

best area for clean air is sha tau kok, or other parts of northern district

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    best area for clean air is sha tau kok, or other parts of northern district
    Yep because although it's the closest to some of the most heavily industrialised parts of China the pollution wafts right over the top and lands elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Yep because although it's the closest to some of the most heavily industrialised parts of China the pollution wafts right over the top and lands elsewhere.
    Is that just a note of irony or a whole symphony of it?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I wouldn't buy one of those air purifiers, they are all a load of crap. There was a test a couple of weeks back which found that all of the brands greatly exaggerate there effectiveness with the worst one only being able to effectively clean 0.6 sqm.

http://www.consumer.org.hk/website/i.../p414/full.pdf
    That's a very inaccurate representation of the article. First, there are no brands specified in the test which means they could have easily chosen less reputable ones for the test and it's not obvious all brands were represented. Second, a 12% shortcoming on cleaning area wouldn't exactly be a great exaggeration. Third, it's also unclear what kind of filtration system each purifier uses. The clear message is buyer beware because SOME of the purifiers are clearly not doing much.

IQ for example is used by the hospital authority and the reality is that many people that use a quality air purifier find great improvements in allergy reaction, breathing, sniffling, sleeping, coughing etc...

As usual, people are free to make their own choices according to what they believe/experience. My personal experience with air purifiers is very positive and I would never consider living in HK without one regardless of the price.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast