Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hi Cosimo01,

I am from Munich too already been here 5 years..If you like pm me..

So IQ air purifiers are the way to go? We are seriously considering investing in one. My other half is suffering badly with allergies, as is one of our dogs. The vet at the weekend said the her problems (the dog's, not the missus') is polluted air.

What exactly do air purifiers purify? I know they are meant to be aintibacterial, reduce the propensity for mould, but do they remove any of the pollutants in the air?

I wonder if "air purifiers" are not just a kind of nonsense sales gimmick? I mean, unless you 100% seal your apartment, you will constantly get outside "unclean air" floating in and being inhaled. It makes much more sense to move to a cleaner area with better air where you can actually just leave your windows open.

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    I wonder if "air purifiers" are not just a kind of nonsense sales gimmick? I mean, unless you 100% seal your apartment, you will constantly get outside "unclean air" floating in and being inhaled.
    I understand what you are saying - it is the process of diffusion, however, if what you were saying were true then heaters and aircons would be pointless, no? You raise a good point about whether air purifiers actually "purify" the air to a tangible extent though. Would appreciate input on that because the machines a really very expensive.

It makes much more sense to move to a cleaner area with better air where you can actually just leave your windows open.
    You know we all live in Hong Kong, right?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    I understand what you are saying - it is the process of diffusion, however, if what you were saying were true then heaters and aircons would be pointless, no? You raise a good point about whether air purifiers actually "purify" the air to a tangible extent though. Would appreciate input on that because the machines a really very expensive.

You know we all live in Hong Kong, right?
    I would not trust any of the marketing claims. Rather, see if there is any scientific study on these devices.

Some parts of HK are much worse than others. In Sai Kung, and Park Island I must say the air seems quite good to me, with far less pollution from ongoing road traffic and construction dust.

I would not trust any of the marketing claims. Rather, see if there is any scientific study on these devices.
    IQ brand talks about purifying particles as small as 0.003 microns (isn't that a micro micron?). What the frig that means to joe public like me is a different story, but it certainly sounds impressive.

Really, what I'm after is something that has a significant chance of reducing allergies in the home for my woman and my dog. I'd be happy to make a punt at a 5000 dollar purifier if, I have, say, a 30% chance of success.

It makes much more sense to move to a cleaner area with better air where you can actually just leave your windows open.
    You mean, like somewhere other than HK?

There are no "clean" places in HK - just places where the pollution is less visible than others.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You mean, like somewhere other than HK?

There are no "clean" places in HK - just places where the pollution is less visible than others.
    Not just less visible. Of course, places in HK that have more traffic, and buildings, have more pollution. Places away from cars, busses, trucks etc have less. That is rather obvious. A place like the Peak, or Park Island, (or any island) will be noticably cleaner as they have less traffic. People in those places do like to leave their windows open (and also its cooler at night).

An additional advantage of the places in HK with less traffic pollution, is that they likely also have less sound pollution and less light pollution, both of which I am also now disliking in Hong Kong.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I thought aeroplanes fly fairly low over Park Island. Do the planes just flick the exhaust fume switch to "off"?

MovingIn07 likes this.

Not just less visible. Of course, places in HK that have more traffic, and buildings, have more pollution. Places away from cars, busses, trucks etc have less. That is rather obvious. A place like the Peak, or Park Island, (or any island) will be noticably cleaner as they have less traffic. People in those places do like to leave their windows open (and also its cooler at night).
    You're making a case that you don't really get the diffusion process all that well. Yes, if you move hundredsand thousands of miles away from south china and HK, you will be in a less polluted environment. But over the course of a few miles, there is barely much difference (=polluted)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast