Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

I've been living in Hong Kong for over 30 years, the pollution is getting worse and worse the last decade or so. Very sad.

I lived a few years in Fairview Park in Yueng Long (NW of HK) and the air quality was very bad, dust indoor accumulated unusually fast and they're dark color dust. A friend who lives in Tung Chung said the air quality was bad also, whenever waves of pollutants travel from China to HK, it gets to the NW and W of the New Territories.

Technically the whole HK is polluted but you can find *relatively* better area. Avoid the high traffic city area to avoid within the city pollutants. Given the industrial area of Shenzhen is on the Northwest of Hong Kong, try going East (e.g. Sai Kung, Wu Kai Sha) or South and SouthEast of Hong Kong Island (if you can afford it).

Quote Originally Posted by globaltraveler:
    Dear Paenme...been in Munich 1time it was raining,came across a rude person 2008 DW article yeeeeah..there we go ..It has a part of BMW factory so it must be polluted..Well thats not a chinese factory spitting out pollution,but has to be regulated and runned by eu standarts.. Munich is a very friendly city also called northern Italy with a lot of foreigners and also high paid professionals from Asian countries which are treated with respect..This was about someone needs help to find a less polluted area in HK to live in with a baby and it turnes out to be an anti expat propaganda not all germans are Nxxx that was over 50 years ago and started with an Austrian...nice to see for a new commer who wants to experience Asia for 2 years how they will be treated here in HK..how sad ..because where I come from we are nice to foreigners and respect them..doesnt matter where they come from or which job they have..Freetrader stop to attack everyone who is posting and has a different opinion then you have..go to the gym and get yourself a proper education..you have no manners..
    Why must you interpret my sharing bad experience/impression of Munich as anti expat propaganda? I actually attached a link for the OP to show areas of HK where pollution levels may be lower. You and your friends are the ones claiming Germany is so clean implying Asia is dirty, if you feel that way stay home and don't come here! By your attitudes that sense of superiority which led most Germans to support that one Austrian (damn they actually voted to give up democracy for him) is still vividly alive.

I had an African American colleague who lived in Germany for a few years. He told me that Munich weather is mostly like what I experienced and, although not expressed explicitly, there was always something strange in the way he was treated over there. I personally think the Germans have a lot of good qualities such as discipline, conservatism and drive for quality/excellence (similar to Japanese in Asia), unfortunately tolerance, open mindedness, and lack of sense of superiority are not one of them (again similar to Japanese in Asia). Add military power to the above traits the world ends up suffering the consequences from time to time.

In light of the German philosopher Goethe's quote "I've often felt a bitter sorrow at the thought of the German people, which is so estimable in the individual and so wretched in the generality" (i.e. great as individuals but suck/are dangerous as a group), perhaps the Germans should leave their country more. They are certainly welcome if they want to come to HK.
    Last edited by paenme; 02-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.

..must be my english .......I speak six other langauges perfectly so I give a damn about my english..
    Yes, well, I suggest you stick to those other languages, in which you can presumably make stupid statements that no one will question because of your (self-proclaimed) superior education. You are outmatched in English.

Dear Paenme...been in Munich 1time it was raining,came across a rude person 2008 DW article yeeeeah..there we go ..It has a part of BMW factory so it must be polluted..Well thats not a chinese factory spitting out pollution,but has to be regulated and runned by eu standarts.. Munich is a very friendly city also called northern Italy with a lot of foreigners and also high paid professionals from Asian countries which are treated with respect..This was about someone needs help to find a less polluted area in HK to live in with a baby and it turnes out to be an anti expat propaganda not all germans are Nxxx that was over 50 years ago and started with an Austrian...nice to see for a new commer who wants to experience Asia for 2 years how they will be treated here in HK..how sad ..because where I come from we are nice to foreigners and respect them..doesnt matter where they come from or which job they have..Freetrader stop to attack everyone who is posting and has a different opinion then you have..go to the gym and get yourself a proper education..you have no manners..
    The idea that all Germans are Nazis didn't stem from any Asian Countries. When I was educated in NA, children were soaked with information in TV about German Nazis as far as Grade 7. You get these Grade 7'ers joking about Nazis. I always knew they know little about the subject, but they ridicule Germans because they want to be with the in-crowd and having the same view as everyone else in NA. But I can guarantee their motives stemmed mainly from wanting to get along more than anything related to German. I think when the local Hong Kong people hears the word German, the only thing they associate with is furniture, good brand, cars. They barely spoke to Germans before, so i doubt you'll be faced with any hostility.

Good job knowing 6 languages. In no way would i diminish this accomplishment. Must be confusing as a child dealing with all these extra languages. Must be pretty convenient to get around now.
    Last edited by Creative83; 02-05-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    globaltraveler likes this.

Grow up get a life..Mr PERFECT.. xxxx

It is really nonsense to speak of Munich as being polluted. Munich is in fact a very very clean city (as are most German cities). Germany, despite being a hub of industry and manufacturing is very clean due to very strict standards and care regarding pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    But the idea that you can have industralization without pollution is ridiculous.
    You seem to have a lot to learn about industrial emission control technologies and environmental protection laws. Much of Europe, but especially Germany, has been installing sophisticated (and very expensive) technologies on their factories since the '80's. They were one of the first places in Europe to put Flu Gas Desulphurisation on their power stations, for example, something that adds a huge amount to the cost of a power station as well as reducing the efficiency. It's not that it can't be done, it's usually that it's expensive. But thanks to the very strict laws in Germany, it's been done.

Cities are polluted regardless of where they are.... it's just a matter of degree. Most people would agree that overall, places like HK, Beijing, Shanghai or LA are more polluted than Munich however it doesn't necessarily make it clean.

If one lives in a large city, one has to deal with pollution, that's just a fact of life. Stricter standards and control helps in minimizing the problem but it doesn't eliminate it.

Freetrader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You seem to have a lot to learn about industrial emission control technologies and environmental protection laws. Much of Europe, but especially Germany, has been installing sophisticated (and very expensive) technologies on their factories since the '80's. They were one of the first places in Europe to put Flu Gas Desulphurisation on their power stations, for example, something that adds a huge amount to the cost of a power station as well as reducing the efficiency. It's not that it can't be done, it's usually that it's expensive. But thanks to the very strict laws in Germany, it's been done.
    And you, Moving, don't know what you are talking about. To say that Germany, and Munich, is not 'polluted' because of enhanced capture technologies is like arguing that improved public health has rendered mankind immortal. It's all relative; and the pollution in Munich is at best average by European standards (and as noted previously, but some measures it is quite bad). If you are trying to argue that Germany is less polluted than Hong Kong, I've already said that. But then, that would mean that you don't know how to read very well, wouldn't it...?

You are a pain in the ass Freetrader..Moving In07+Chateau finally some excellent comments here..Thanks

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast