Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by globaltraveler:
    You are a pain in the ass Freetrader..Moving In07+Chateau finally some excellent comments here..Thanks
    Yes, I am quite the gadfly when it comes to rebutting unsupportable remarks. You may want to be careful who your friends are on this site, by the way.
    globaltraveler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    I think when the local Hong Kong people hears the word German, the only thing they associate with is furniture, good brand, cars. They barely spoke to Germans before, so i doubt you'll be faced with any hostility.
    Yep and I can assure you they won't kill you for the color of your skin or religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Good job knowing 6 languages. In no way would i diminish this accomplishment. Must be confusing as a child dealing with all these extra languages. Must be pretty convenient to get around now.
    I certainly hope the guy's profession is in languages or that he can afford to devote all his time and effort in them, otherwise with the average human's limited capacity and resources, 1) it is highly unlikely he is as good in any of the six languages (speaking, reading as well as writing) as an proficient unilingual, and 2) he would have just wasted precious time and resources in something that will ultimately contribute to divide, rather than unite, the EU (actually it's already happening which puts EU at a comptetitive disadvantage compared with North America or China).

It's always interesting to hear people claim they speak six or seven languages but they never identify specifically what those are. To be able to speak languages from completely different systems/parts of the world is a much higher achievement than someone who can speak a group of similar local languages (e.g. Latin, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese or Cantonese, Shanghainese, Fukianese, etc) which require much less effort to learn.
    Last edited by paenme; 02-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.

I just wanted to add my tuppence worth! Last year, through most of the summer my job took me all over Hong Kong driving. Most of the driving was on the island but in a day I could cover the length and breadth of the territory several times. Now this is only my experience but it's all I have!!

I was always amazed at how much hotter it felt in down-town Kowloon, by which I mean TST/Mong Kok and so on and how filthy the air seemed kerbside there, especially on hot days. The same goes for central, and I mean Central, because Happy Valley, for example, and even Mid-levels didn't seem as bad, in fact, as most HKers know, the further you go up the Peak the cooler it seems to get and the fresher the air seems to be.

Even in down-town Yuen Long I can really smell the diesel fumes at street level in the summer and my throat feels irritated.

Maybe somebody is going to tell me that this isn't the harmful pollution but if it's true that pollution is the same everywhere in Hong Kong then I will live in the polluted bits that don't stink and make me want to gag, ie, Central, down-town Kowloon and the heavily built up urban areas...

You must be twins :O) or maybe Psychics...

You must be twins :O) or maybe Psychics...
    How's that?

Haha sorry bryant.english..didnt mean you Freetrader + Paenme

I thought maybe you meant me because we're simultaneously exchanging on at least two threads at the moment..!

Hahaha no I wouldnt dare to

Http://www.popsci.com/badcities

Is an example of a dirty city listing. Neither HK nor Munich are listed.

I think you should differentiate between types of pollution. If done you will see that comparing Europe with China/ Shenzhen is not easy. Eg. Here in NL we don't really have any heavy industry anymore (the black dust you get in Yuen Long), but we do have the most pig farms of Europe. (we ship them to Italy, where they get slaughtered and got exported as italian ham) These farms contribute to the ammonium levels like hell.

So what type of pollution is measured and compared to which standard should be the question.

Because we are the only two brave souls here that dare to challenge your superiority complex? Get a grip.

By your logic, you and Randy1 must be twins.
    Last edited by paenme; 02-05-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast