Like Tree20Likes

Afraid of Pollution: Where to live in HK

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

To get back to the original question, where to live in HK to avoid pollution.... my suggestion would be to wire up one of these to an industrial strength air purification system:

The language question is off topic but paenme comments are too daft to ignore. Learning language gives insights into culture that are invaluable. My learning of very.very basic mandarin has given me insights into how.Chinese people think. Fluency is not necessary for such learning to be valuable to both sides. What do you want paenme - the whole world speaking English? Or perhaps we should move to the language spoken by the most people on earth already and go.for mandarin. . .

globaltraveler likes this.

More people can speak Mandarin than English? That doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I am no expert but if I click on the link you posted above, it seems to me that Munich is close to the green area (less pollution)
    Those are the Alps, not Munich.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The language question is off topic but paenme comments are too daft to ignore. Learning language gives insights into culture that are invaluable. My learning of very.very basic mandarin has given me insights into how.Chinese people think. Fluency is not necessary for such learning to be valuable to both sides. What do you want paenme - the whole world speaking English? Or perhaps we should move to the language spoken by the most people on earth already and go.for mandarin. . .
    If you have already mastered one language, I see no harm that you want to spare some time learning a second language. This does not moot my point though that the various languages in the world hinder human progression and communications. Do we really need hundreds of languages (or even six IMO) to appreciate the different cultures? Even so at what costs? Where would India be today if a single language had not been made as the official language?

We have long been conditioned to politically correctly say that diversity, including languages, is always a great thing. But the truth is various languages divide, rather than unite. And because learning a language is difficult and takes significant (if not lifelong) time and capacity, when the level is proficiency is insufficient, conflicts and misunderstanding are likely to occur. IMO the world will be much better off with a lot fewer languages. I don't have the right number in mind and have no problem if you want to make them English and Mandarin.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Those are the Alps, not Munich.
    still Munich is a yellow color kind of thing while Amsterdam is full red, Kohln, Frankfurt and Paris in orange, showing that Munich isnt the most or one of the most populated area

It might be, I have no idea but just pointing out that your graph is actually not really supporting your statement since already on that chart, Paris, Kohln, Frankfurt and Amsterdam look more polluted
    Last edited by Mat; 03-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Although a'dam might be in the red it doesn't have the black fume dust you see in dens industrialized area's. I guess it depends on what is measured and to what standard.

Sent from my iPhone 4, Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    still Munich is a yellow color kind of thing while Amsterdam is full red, Kohln, Frankfurt and Paris in orange, showing that Munich isnt the most or one of the most populated area

It might be, I have no idea but just pointing out that your graph is actually not really supporting your statement since already on that chart, Paris, Kohln, Frankfurt and Amsterdam look more polluted
    I think it does. It shows Munich as being fairly polluted, which was all I said. My point was that any big city has a fair amount of pollution.

Is it just me or are there some really strange posts(posters?) on this forum this afternoon...?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Is it just me or are there some really strange posts(posters?) on this forum this afternoon...?
    It's not you. That ddf person has put a few bizarre posts on quite a few threads today.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast