Like Tree10Likes

What to buy before coming to Hong Kong??

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

apparently bras
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/32/thr...ml#post1366693

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Which electrical items have limited choice here and are very expensive compared to the UK of all places? Where have you looked and which items? TVs? Toasters? Shavers? Stereos? Computers? Something else? Do we live in the same place, I've never had a problem with the cost of electrical items here compared to the UK?
    Electrical goods seem more expensive in Hong Kong compared to the UK to me - from kitchen appliances all the way up to expensive TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Nurofen is not sold here, and as I soon found out, if you have a bad cold or the flu, pharmacy staff tend to insist that you take 'allergy' pills!!!
    Nurofen is certainly sold here, just not at Watsons, most if not all "pharmacies" / dispensaries sell Nurofen 400 as per this previous thread http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/115/thread30237.html which I listed just one local example. The local pharmacy in Sai Kung town sells them also so it shouldn't be difficult in other neighbourhoods. You can get a surprising amount of western prescription only drugs over the counter here .

Nurofen is not sold here, and as I soon found out, if you have a bad cold or the flu, pharmacy staff tend to insist that you take 'allergy' pills!!!
    Nurofen plus is not sold here as it contains codeine, which needs a prescription. Regular nurofen (ibuprofen only) is readily available

Lst November, I visited about 8 pharmacies around Central, Sheung Wan, and even went over to Causeway Bay as I had a really bad, cold. Couldn't sleep from the congestions. All 8 - I even took the empty packet so that the pharmacist would would have some idea of what I was looking for, and all told me that it is not possible - no kidding. I am allergic to paracaetemol, believe it or not, and still the pharmacy staff would only sell me Zirtek! None mentioned anything about requiring a prescription, and two actually told me that Nurofen was not available in HK.

if you have a bad cold or the flu, pharmacy staff tend to insist that you take 'allergy' pills!!!
    Ibuprofen is easily available and since it's identical to Nurofen, no problem (Ibuprofen is just the generic name for the same drug). I just hand over the name written down on a piece of paper in any proper pharmacy (Watsons and Mannings don't count) and they give you a bottle of a hundred or so (often pink) pills. Work great.

Re 'allergy' medication - anti-histamines can help with running nose and sneezing, so what's the problem? there is often anti-histamines in the cold and flu remedies you get at home.

Allergy pills don't deal with the fever, aches n pains. As much as I hate to pop pills of any kind, I would rather take something that I know will work and not cause any side effects, like my body breaking out in a lumpy rash. Anyway, everybody is different and each one to their own. I'm only speaking from experience, and I did try a few 'independant' looking pharmacies.

Lst November, I visited about 8 pharmacies around Central, Sheung Wan, and even went over to Causeway Bay as I had a really bad, cold. Couldn't sleep from the congestions. All 8 - I even took the empty packet so that the pharmacist would would have some idea of what I was looking for, and all told me that it is not possible - no kidding. I am allergic to paracaetemol, believe it or not, and still the pharmacy staff would only sell me Zirtek! None mentioned anything about requiring a prescription, and two actually told me that Nurofen was not available in HK.
    I bought Ibuprofen (actually Ibuprofen Retard, I think it is a stronger dosage plus timed release) just a couple of weeks ago from Fanda without a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Electrical goods seem more expensive in Hong Kong compared to the UK to me - from kitchen appliances all the way up to expensive TVs.
    check the model number in this local site 香港格價網 Price.com.hk ( space on the centre), as most electricial are comparable to uk prices, ( sometimes even cheaper), fortress and broadway and most large stores in hk island are like the curry's /comet/ dixons of hk as they sell close to list price.

best so far is citicall, 15% of list for a kdl-46ex500 compared to 5% from other mentioned above.

uk brand speakers and cables, ie, mission, kef, tannoy (cables qed) are pricey compared to uk though.
    Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    check the model number in this local site 香港格價網 Price.com.hk ( space on the centre), as most electricial are comparable to uk prices, ( sometimes even cheaper), fortress and broadway and most large stores in hk island are like the curry's /comet/ dixons of hk as they sell close to list price.
    That TV looks to sell for US$899 in Amazon.com/BestBuy.com or HK$9,400 for the best listing on price.com.hk.You can buy it in the UK for 707 GBP (pixmania.co.uk) which is still cheaper than Hong Kong.

Using your example the prices are

HK: HK$9400
    UK: HK$8696
    US: HK$7012

I don't disagree some models may be cheaper in one place or the other - local supply/demand influences price - just generally it seems one pays a premium in Hong Kong.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast