Like Tree12Likes

So I made the big move...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So I made the big move...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post my thoughts after just making the big move over to Hong Kong.

I like most people considering the move to Hong Kong had and opportunity and went for it. I was able to transfer with my current company in Chicago to Hong Kong, I don't know the normal process but things went very smooth for me. I was fotrunate and had a serviced apartment for 1 month offered to me in my package. Everyone's offer will be different, but don't worry there is a plethora of information about serviced apartments on here - use the search function!!!

I'm three days into my journey and wouldn't change it for the world at this point in time... yeah things are different and the food isn't the same, but I would be silly to expect things to be exactly the same. In all honesty, why even move over here if things were the same, I think most of us considering Hong Kong are looking for something new, or maybe you're just after the money... either way it works.

For those contemplating the idea of moving, just give it a shot. I think we tend to make this decision seem like it's the biggest thing we'll ever do in life, to some maybe... but seriously if you hate it here, just move back home and at least you tried it. Luckily for me I didn't have any hesitations or what if's about moving over here, but if I did, I believe those would have been put to ease shortly after landing at 6pm. My car ride from the airport to my serviced apartment in North Point alone convinced me this was a great idea, this city is absolutely gorgeous at night.

My interactions with the people so far have been great. My co-workers are extremely nice and they are just as interested in me as I am in them. The people in the markets seem to be just as nice as well, yesterday I ordered some stuff from the market and I though she said 18 dollars so I gave her a twenty, she shook her head and grabbed 3 or 4 coins in my hand instead... That would have been a perfect opportunity to take advantage of me and I wouldn't have thought twice, maybe I was just lucky or maybe goog people exist in every part of the world.

Don't let the negative things you'll read on the forum get to you, I'm sure it's mostly things that drive people crazy, but not things that would make them not want to live here (everyone is entitled to rant every once in awhile)

My advice/suggestion to you is to use the SEARCH funtion on this site and read what people have said about whatever topic you want to learn about... Just about every time I use it, I end up learning 2 or 3 new things I wouldn't have thought of. Also, just take the chance and move over... I as well as many other expats would love to have and drink and chat!

Cheers and don't make a fun decison such a difficult decision

Welcome to Hong Kong barnesc. Nice to hear things have gone so well for you in these last few days.

The city lights of this city seem to have had the same effect on you as they did on me when I first came here on a visit in 1993. The night we arrived I thought it was like an alien city with all these glowing high-rises creating these other-worldly canyons through which our car sped on the rain-covered streets. The heat was also a major sensory experience, but I was here in August, not in winter so you missed out on that part.

My only problem was the purpose of my trip. I was here to grieve the loss of my father-in-law whom I had never met. That put a dampener on things, and led my in-laws to keep reminding me to calm down and don't act so excited in the funeral parlour! I suspect you won't have such an issue to deal with, so you can really celebrate the whole experience.

Last edited by John Doe Jr; 24-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Agree about the night light drama. On my first visit I arrived late afternoon. I was awe struck by the Lego/duplo apartment buildings I saw on my way in from the airport (small town NZ girl that I am)
    My boss was here too and arranged for me to meet him for dinner at the restaurant in the Rennaisance in TST. I will never forget the impact of walking in there and seeing the view over Victoria Harbour for the first time. Think that man knows something about first impressions. But there is so much more to HK as I have discovered over the last five years and I am truly looking forward to the next three years living here and finding out even more about this diverse and fascinating place. (even if I don't get to go to the Sevens....)

Welcome to HK .. too bad the Bears lost.

Welcome to HK Barnesc

And great post.

Go for a walk around The Peak and you will see an amazing part of city. It still strikes many people whom have lived here for years.

Good luck and get out there and enjoy what the city has to offer!

Thanks everyone... Although the decision was pretty easy for me, I hope others who are thinking about the decision can find some comfort in this thread!

Basically from someone who just arrived, HK is amazing... and it seems like people who have been here several years to long term still love the city and find ways to get that awe struck feeling every once in a while!

Shri I appreciate the kind words about the Bears... I only lived in Chicago for the past three years. I'm not from there, so my true NFL allegiance would go to either the Falcons or Panthers. (It would have been neat to see the Bears go!!)

I like your post SO MUCH - thank you! I'm afraid and nervous getting to HK but now I'm excited in a positive way!!
    Looking forward to live in HK for the next 5 month...

Quote Originally Posted by susey:
    I like your post SO MUCH - thank you! I'm afraid and nervous getting to HK but now I'm excited in a positive way!!
    Looking forward to live in HK for the next 5 month...
    Mate, HK is awesome in so many ways it's hard to know where to start! In 5 months you can get up to so much trouble and I love the fact that you have a timeline! That makes it more exciting and LIMITED! You know what that you need to cram into your time so you will do more than most. It's not only HK but Macau, the islands, mainland China and the rest of Asia at your fingertips!

You know, I still haven't taken the peak tram or done alot of things that people are only here a day and do so I have to get it on my list too!
    Last edited by virago; 24-01-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Great post! Moving to HK in two weeks. Will be alone in a serviced apartment for a month. Don't know what to expect but do hope to replicate your experience!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast