dryers in HK???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face dryers in HK???

Quick stupid question, do they sell dryers (laundry) in HK? i was there back in november and browsed around Fortress etc, and only saw washers. Is there a place where i can buy both a washer / dryer ??

deleteduser

Yup, but usually you only have a selection of 1 or 2, except for Sogo which has many.

I bought mine at DSC and god a good unit for a good price.

Luckily, dryers are VERY simple, so you don't really need a fancy one to get good results.

Definitely, there are a few choices

For gas fired, try towngas outlet (go to their website). As in the US, the gas fired unit is rather pricey but tends to be economical on the long term and there may be some problem regarding the piping of that particular unit. It depends on how long you want to stay.

For electric dryer, there are lots to choose from. As far as I know, whirlpool offers both US and European style and was ranked as best aftersales services. However, my 3kg dry european style I bought 6 months ago starts to have some problem with timer, ie it does not seem to move at all. I'm also not impressed with front loaded Whirlpool washer too.

I used to have Australian/New Zealand brand Fisher and Parkel or something like that of the same size and it works fine.

Also, I used Philco 2-in-1, ie washer and dryer and it works well as a washer, not a dryer. I later bought a 5kg dryer and it works great. However, when I moved, I need to leave it at my old place as there i s no space and the aftersales service was at best average or below average so that I ask them about how to hang the dryer to the wall for space saving and they give me a rather vague answer until I found out it's not possible to do it in my new place. I was told now Philco does not carry dryer larger than 3.5kg any more.

Japanese brandname like Panasonic also has dryer but it may not apply to your case as you have to buy both dryer and washer to fit a stand.

Just as a word of warning, a fireman friend of ours discourages gas dryers. He said he can't remember how many house fires he has been to that were started by the gas dryer.
    That was in the US, so things might be different here.
    We have an electric dryer, last people in the apartment never cleaned the lint filter and the landlord is lucky that didn't cause a fire. When we went to clean the filter, there was so much old lint we couldn't tell if what we pilled off was lint or part of the filter.

The lint filter on our Town Gas washer/dryer is always getting blocked requiring a call out to the service guy. It is a free service and unavoidable as the problem is inherent in the design. The dry cycle is unbelievably slow but as it came with the home and is fitted it is deemed unnecessary and uneconomical to change.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    The dry cycle is unbelievably slow
    That's why I don't use my 2-in-1 washer/dryer for drying.

I think it should be better if it's for one function only, ie washer for washer and dryer for dryer.

Most of the time I dry my clothes in a small room using a dehumidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by boblam07:
    That's why I don't use my 2-in-1 washer/dryer for drying.

I think it should be better if it's for one function only, ie washer for washer and dryer for dryer.
    That can be said of many things. "Jack of all trades, master of none."

We have a separate dryer, but the lint filter fills quite quickly. Just a matter of emptying it after every load.

because of the extreme humid weather, does it take forever for the dryer to do it's job??

It takes a little longer but you should keep the room door and windows shut.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast