Hong Kong Vs. Chicago

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hong Kong Vs. Chicago

I'm currently in the middle of my relocation from Hong Kong to Chicago and have spent about a month and a week living in Central/Soho. I view Chicago as my home and have been thinking about the pros/cons of moving to Hong Kong! Obviously, I've been reading the other posts but I also want to know if there's been any other Chicagoans that have made the move and agree with me? I'm considering an opportunity in Singapore as well.

I'll start a PROS/CONS LIST:

Chicago Pros

Food's better in Chicago (Cantonese food is bland and all the western and other "ethnic" food is blanded down for local taste)

Chicago has less pollution and is a more green City, bike friendly, if you're home is a green home you can receive grants,etc. (I'm an urban environmentalist)

Chicago has an underground/anti-establishment/hipster vibe about it.

Chicago has a great night life anytime of the week, going out is very diverse. There's no preferential treatment of anyone of a particular ethnic group,it's based only on attractiveness, unlike in HK where frankly there's a racist vibe.

Chicago has friendly, confident people. Hongkers just seem fearful of anyone outside of their family.

Cons

Chicago is deadly cold in the winter

Chicago's flat

Chicago has a third world public transportation system

Chicago is spread out as a city.

Chicago sales tax is 9%!

>> underground/anti-establishment/hipster vibe

Sounds like it went all ghetto since my days... (not that I'm clued into what the ummm "hipster vibe" is .. )

I do miss the blues bars, festivals and the great museums.

I also do miss a fair number of folks I worked and went to school with.. good old mid-western work ethic.

Pros:
    An afternoon Cubs game.

The Gumbo at Heaven on Seven.

A sausage pan pizza from Lou Malnati's.

Taco Burrito Palace #2.

Catching a show at the Empty Bottle or other local venue.

Cons:
    No Helper.

The Blue Line to Ohare compared to the Airport Express.

No Helper.

The recent blizzard.

cons -- rednecks / midwest mentality

goleoboy : unfortunately, if you hang around the bars long enough you'll see that there is a fair amount of that exported to Hong Kong.

entropyfan

Since when was cantonese food bland? Go where the locals go and you'll see a big difference.

Midwestern Mentality?

Not so sure I've ever seen a redneck in Chicago. That is, if you think you've seen rednecks in Chicago, you probably haven't traveled much. At least not South of. . . Chicago. As for the midwestern mentality: I guess it does suck being around overly friendly, earnest people with values. Oh wait, actually, shouldn't that be in the pros column? Just watch Ferris Bueller again if you're having second thoughts.

Other Pros:

-The Weiner's Circle
    -Taco Burrito Palace 2 (love that someone else mentioned this gem)
    -Uncensored HBO, movies, TV
    -Great in the summer, even when Cubs suck (balances out the winter, to some extent)
    -St. Patrick's Day in Chicago is top notch
    -Blender technology at Jamba Juice that actually makes a smoothie smooth (as the name would imply); I wish England would buy into this, still unsure if HK has.
    -Sports (i.e., real sports)
    -Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago

No one has still mentioned .. Da Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    cons -- rednecks / midwest mentality
    please do not mistake Chicago with Gary, Indiana. They're very close to eachother but world's apart.

Some additional comments ...
    Chicago Pros:

• Plenty of cultural activities: Opera, Theatre, Performance Art (think 'Blue Man Group'), Concerts, Ravinia (in the summer)
    • A city that actually cares about (most of) its local sports teams regardless of their success

Chicago Cons:
    • Suburban sprawl/driving distances/time spent in traffic
    • Unsafe/dodgy public transport system

Regarding food, I could name a number of great dining places in both cities. As for local specialities, HK people in Chicago probably miss their fish balls just as much as Chicagoans in HK miss their hot dogs and pizza. People often miss the food they are used to from back home, it's perfectly normal.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast