Like Tree6Likes

Internship in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internship in HK

Hello there,

I am currently a graduated Accounting student, as well as passing all of my ACCA exams(Association Chartered Certified Accountant) and is planning to do a few months of work experience in a large accountancy firm in HK.

I was able to find a website called nextstepconnection who guarantees internship placement but of course i have to pay a fee of around £2,000 for a 3 months placement (deff not cheap), but seems like a very very reliable company.

I was just wanting to know whether anyone has been in this position before like me doing an accounting internship in HK(or any other kind of internship).

I have always wanted to work in HK but I understand getting a Visa there can be difficult as i dnt have a HK ID, but will I have a better chance as I am an British Born Chinese able to speak english + cantonese (fluently) but cannot read or write chinese, have an accounting degree and a little bit of working experience.

Hi Anna,

Check websites like jobsdb.com/ asiaexpat.com/ hongkong.craigslist.hk/. I am currently doing an internship Branding/Marketing in HK. I found the position on craigslist.hk. Also take a look at carreer websites of multinationals/ Asian companies.
    I must tell you tho, that it is rather difficult to find an internship in Hong Kong while you are not living in Hong Kong.
    What you could also do, but is not really matching your backgroung, is checking the British representation in HK like the consulate and see what they got.

Good luck!

annahung likes this.

These new firms seem to be spreading like a disease. Why not find someone at a conservative party ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjan:
    Hi Anna,

Check websites like jobsdb.com/ asiaexpat.com/ hongkong.craigslist.hk/. I am currently doing an internship Branding/Marketing in HK. I found the position on craigslist.hk. Also take a look at carreer websites of multinationals/ Asian companies.
    I must tell you tho, that it is rather difficult to find an internship in Hong Kong while you are not living in Hong Kong.
    What you could also do, but is not really matching your backgroung, is checking the British representation in HK like the consulate and see what they got.

Good luck!

Thanx Alot hey just wanted to know how did u find ur internship ? did u have to pay ??

Are you going to pay your first employer as well when you enter the real world? Don't pay for an internship. That's just ridiculous. Fetching coffees and photocopying for free (internship) is one thing if you are a desperate grad, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

annahung, MovingIn07 and niossap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Are you going to pay your first employer as well when you enter the real world? Don't pay for an internship. That's just ridiculous. Fetching coffees and photocopying for free (internship) is one thing if you are a desperate grad, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    I suppose u have a really point, but apart from this i dont know how to get an intern in HK, its so difficult

n(@@)n

I have been sending CV to many large org, but they not reply , how did u get ur job in HK??

You have to network - sending CV's off into the ether is useless. Do you know know anyone in HK? If not, why on earth do you want to come here? If you know people, you have to ring them all up and ask if they know anywhere, and if not, if they can ask their contacts etc etc. That's how it works. DO NOT PAY money for an internship. Honestly. It's not worth it.

As to the visa, presumably an internship is some form of study visa? I think it was different from a normal work visa when I filled one out for an intern we got a while back (but it was a while back, can't really recall!). You will have the same chance as any other british intern - being chinese is not an advantage nor disadvantage.

Hey, you can do an internship with me on Marketing. You don't have to have a marketing degree to do my internship. You can pay me $2000 USD for this privilege.

But all seriousness, don't pay for work experience! If you pay for it they are taking advantage of you BIG TIME!

Football16 likes this.

I totally agree with the other members. I did not pay to get this internship. I would never pay to get an internship! Believe me, renting a place here is already expensive enough
    I found the ad on one of those job websites, and as I had friends living in HK I though it'd be fun to move there. Best is indeed to do it via networking, and indeed, don't send in CV's at random... Good Luck!

Football16 likes this.

I would be extremely skeptical of paying for that.

If you were going to do this, I'd specifically ask for names and contact information of former interns who you can speak with and find out what their experiences were and if the $$$ was worth it.

HK is not cheap as noted.

Use other sources.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast