Help in understanding abt schools

Closed Thread

Help in understanding abt schools

Dear All,

My previous posts have given me good information abt moving to HK.

I have question which I would like some tips

I have been reading that it is very difficult to get into schools. My son, who will be turning 3 in Sept, would be attending Nursery (K1). We are still not in HK and will arrive only in Apr. I fear most schools already are having a wait list.

I was wondering what options do we have if he does not get into a English medium nursery school?

Do we have an option of putting him in a non profit school (Local language medium) and then move him to english medium in the next year for UKG? Is the Chinese medium school only for locals there?

If the answer is that I can get him to a chinese medium nursery then what can be the possible disadvantages in future?

Thanks as always for your advices.

Regards
    Parvathy

It is difficult to get into a few select schools in Hong Kong. These are (usually) very top end and expensive schools. There are plenty of other perfectly good schools with places available.

Your fear is unfounded. Most schools do not have a wait list; some very popular ones do.

I would highly doubt that you could not get him into an English medium nursery. There are so many out there.

As for Chinese; if you are going to be in Hong Kong for an extended period of time (5 years or more) then it would give your child a great advantage to learn the local language.

HC

Nurseries and Kindergartens are usually not the biggest problem. But primary schools are harder. You have a couple of years before primary school, but already you should get him on some waiting lists.

For kindergarten/nursery, I have a 2.5yo daughter and trying to get her into K1 in August now. Since I live in Olympic area, I applied to Victoria and Habitat, the 2 "international" schools in this area (although appears most of the kids are local, did not see many intl kids). Both of these schools put us on waiting lists and no places are available. These are 'no name' schools in my area and still cannot get in, so I am not quite sure HowardCoombs is correct that it is so easy. I just want my daughter to go somewhere close and not bus too far, but seems like cannot.

Anyway, I have found "Funful" in Kowloon Tong and "Ming Wai" in Prince Edward that appear to have some places in August. Ming Wai in particular was interesting. Its brand new just opened in December. We had a tour from one of the South African teachers. They teach in 4 languages (Canto, Mand, Eng, Jap). Each day they teach in a different language. Since my wife is Japanese, its a good option for us.

Have you decided where you will be living?

bdw, I say its easy and your note has proven that its easy.

Granted, the schools you have found are not within your building or next one over but you have found 2 schols and both of them are less than 10mins away by taxi.

HC

Agree that Kindergarten is not a huge problem. We will find somewhere. Also I have another son going to Australian school so I hope no major problems problems getting siblilng priority there in a few years.

The OP has a few years before primary school and this will work in their favour. They are cetainly in a better position than other posters here who say they are coming to HK next month with a 5 or 6 year old and expect a position immediately.

Hi
    It first depends where you are going to stay in Hong Kong before you finalize on a School. Any local Kindergarten school has English Curriculum with Government Subsidy. But Government subsidy is mainly given to Permanent Residents only.
    And yeah they have a 2nd Round of Finalizing the children in June 2011, so you have a chance to get the school you want.
    All the best!